PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron

Amy Marques
07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
From SAAF a couple months ago, my first time in the field.

Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM on Canon 40D
1/125sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400
Wimberley head, Gitzo tripod

Brian Barcelos
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Amy, Very nice, love all the different hues of blue. Exposure spot on. I might lighten over all and bring out the eye a little more to make it pop. Composition wise is definitely different but I think it works. Great job for a first in field!

Brian

Axel Hildebrandt
07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I have no idea what SAAF is but the bird looks good. :) I like the sharpness, breeding plumage and eye contact. I would crop a bit off the bottom to remove the legs and add more canvas at the top and a bit left. I might also remove the black spot in the lower left.

Joe Senzatimore
07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Wonderful detail in this fine portrait. It could use a bit of lightening.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Almost perfect HA. Great colors and feather details. Vote for lighter too. Thanks for sharing Amy.

Connie Mier
07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Agree with comments above, I'd like to see a bit more room in front of the bird. Nice details and colors.

Amy Marques
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks, everyone. Lighten it up it is and I'll work on the crop. Best, Amy

Amy Marques
07-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I have no idea what SAAF is but the bird looks good. :) I like the sharpness, breeding plumage and eye contact. I would crop a bit off the bottom to remove the legs and add more canvas at the top and a bit left. I might also remove the black spot in the lower left.

Thanks, Axel. Sorry... SAAF is St Augustine Alligator Farm.

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Hay Amy, are you Shawn's wife?
I remember meeting you at SAAF last year :)
Glad you are actively going into photography.
Nice looking bird, good advice given above.
Will be looking forward to more.

Amy Marques
07-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Hay Amy, are you Shawn's wife?
I remember meeting you at SAAF last year :)
Glad you are actively going into photography.
Nice looking bird, good advice given above.
Will be looking forward to more.

Hi Fabs. Yes, that's me. It's about time I picked up a camera! Give my regards to Alfred. ;)

Amy Marques
07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Here is my repost- the image has been lightened and re-cropped. Please let me know if it is an improvement. Thanks. ;)

Stu Bowie
07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
I like the pose, detail and colours Amy. Your repost works well regarding the comp, but I feel you have somehow lost some sharpness in it. Your OP is sharper.

Ramon M. Casares
07-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't see much diference regarding brightness, but the crop sure work better in the repost. Stunning shot, great light, nice pose, great detail, BG, colors and the textures in those faethers in just superb.
Congratulations!

Ryan Lambert
07-17-2009, 01:09 AM
By cropping the bottom you have now accentuated the beautiful plumage, a higher SS would have got the image a tad sharper in my opinion, good colour and detail captured here...congrats

Jay Gould
07-17-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm moving to Florida!! You guys have the lock on beautiful birds right in your backyards. Amy, the RP results in a TEN!

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Beautiful!! I like the repost comp better - BUT - you will need to re-add another 1/4 inch or so to prevent the bottom dark neck feather from being clipped :-) Good work on the dark spot in LLC.

Amy Marques
07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Beautiful!! I like the repost comp better - BUT - you will need to re-add another 1/4 inch or so to prevent the bottom dark neck feather from being clipped :-) Good work on the dark spot in LLC.

Hi Daniel. I thought that might be a problem. Actually, I did have it cropped like that, but the bit of "fluff" just above the leg bothered me. I guess there would be no harm in cleaning up the little area a bit. Thanks for lending me your keen eye. ;)

Gal Shon
07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
That is one beautiful heron.
I like the repost much better, but I would leave a bit more room at the bottom, like Daniel said.