PDA

View Full Version : Ringlet

Thomas Herou
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I've tried to use a short dof on butterflies from a more different angle,it's a challenge!
C&C appreciated.

K20D, Sigma 180/3,5
f/6,3, 1/100s, ISO400

Anita Bower
07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Using shallow dof causes my eye to go right to the sharp areas--the head and antenna, and then back to the spots on the wing. The lighter out of focus wing is a bit distracting because it is lighter than the dark, more in focus wing. I like the green around it. Hope you keep trying this technique.

Steve Maxson
07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
This is certainly a different look, Thomas. Very sharp around the head and I like the soft see-through greens in the foreground around the legs. Cool patterns in the eye! For me, the light OOF edge of the near wing is a little distracting - especially up near the butterfly's head. :)

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 08:30 PM
INteresting choice of DOF, very unusual and it works for me, exactly because of its uniqueness.

Bruce Enns
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
An interesting image Thomas, I love the head and eye detail, but was initially unsure about the OOF areas...the longer I look at it , the more it grows on me...definitely something worth further experimentation...perhaps something similar but with the near wing partially raised to reveal some of it's OOF patterns as well?

Cheers!
Bruce

Thomas Herou
07-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Tkanks for the c&c.
I will try some more if I can find a cooperative butterfly again!

Julie Kenward
07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with the others, Thomas...this is certainly different and worth pursuing. I also feel that if the OOF wing weren't quite so close to the head (more in a vertical position) it might work even better.