Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm
26mm
1/1250"
F3.2
ISO 800
7:19 a.m.
cropped on the right, slight crop on the top

This image was taken a little more than an hour of trailing these deer.
I tried a new method of adjusting on this image. I don't think I like how it appears.
What do you think?

carole wiley
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I like the light, nice alert look on ALL animals (usually there is always one looking the other way),and the colors. Crop is nice...you must have been right on top of these guys...

Ron Boisvert
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Wow, like Carole said, at 26mm you must have been almost close enough to touch them! No wonder you have their undivided attention. The image gives a great sense of the mother protecting the fawns, and them staying close and being cautious next to her.

I'm not sure what your new method of adjusting might be, but the image looks a little oversharpened to me.

All in all, a nice capture.

Jenny Wren
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi Cheryl, Lovely little guys. It must be hard work finding them. (Although I don't think wondering around the bush is hard work!) As Carole has mentioned...they're all looking at you. Great work. How many shots did you get away before you got this one? I agree with Ron. Looks a little over sharpened, or contrasty. Well done!

Cheryl Flory
07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh, Jenny, you ask an embarrassing question...... how many shot. well, I do tend to take a lot. now, remember this was an hour after I started shooting, so ummm, including the landscape shots, ummmmm . a few shots I guess. (shhhhh--I just checked the counter--it was 479!!! but don't tell anyone. lol)

and for me, wandering around the woods is difficult, with the tripod (an old klutzy model), and a heavy lens, with foliage above my head sometimes..... it takes me a day to get over sore muscles. and then I'm back out again....

Gus Cobos
07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like the composition and surprise capture...your image is a wee bit over sharpened and would recommend on toning down the whites in the ears and portions of the body...also would crop just a tad on the top to give the composition a urgency feeling of surprise as seen on mom's face...I like it...good show...keep them coming...:cool:

Cheryl Flory
07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
is this better?

Ron Boisvert
07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Cheryl, In my opinion your repost is much better, much less harsh!

Katherine Enns
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh, Jenny, you ask an embarrassing question...... how many shot. well, I do tend to take a lot. now, remember this was an hour after I started shooting, so ummm, including the landscape shots, ummmmm . a few shots I guess. (shhhhh--I just checked the counter--it was 479!!! but don't tell anyone. lol)

and for me, wandering around the woods is difficult, with the tripod (an old klutzy model), and a heavy lens, with foliage above my head sometimes..... it takes me a day to get over sore muscles. and then I'm back out again....

Yes, well, its no picnic with the camera gear AND a shovel, a quadrat square, a soil corer, and a packsack full of dirt and rocks and books, either... THIS IS A NICE shot, but I agree with Ron, it does look a bit oversharpened with a halo on the doe. I love this series, its really special.

Kat

Gus Cobos
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Now your cooking...:D way to go Cheryl...I give you an A+ :):cool:

Christopher Miller
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Very nice image, Cheryl! Love how all three are looking at you. Nice job with the repost.

Michelle C. Battista
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Cheryl,

I'm no expert, but I really love the repost. Great picture. Michelle

Gordon McKechnie
07-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi Cheryl

Nice image, with nice posing from all three. I think the repost is improved on the sharpening front, but on colours my personal preference is for the slightly warmer feel on your original

Jay Gould
07-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Cheryl, the repost rocks!

Lance Peters
07-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Ill second jays comment - repost rocks - amazed at how close you got to these guys.
Good show :)

Cheryl Flory
07-17-2009, 04:20 AM
thank you, everyone.
If you are patient and careful, you can obviously get fairly close to a few of these. Being in a large park, they are accustomed to seeing people. The day i was trying for these photos, I was just about to get close enough to the twin fawns when someone came running through. She saw me shooting, saw the family group, kept stomping on there and laughed and said "oops, sorry" as she and the deer ran away. so it was time to start all over trying to find other deer. I saw more deer that day though than any other day I had been there. Each time I go I am learning more about the park habitat and the deer habits.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Alfred Forns
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Great threat .... and big congrats in finding the family ! btw being able to use a short focal length sure gave you lots dof !!! Big Congrats !!!