View Full Version : Lower Burnt River in October

Katherine Enns
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Canon Xsi
f/14
1/250
ISO 400
24-105 @ 24 mm

I have no idea how long I should be prefacing my remarks with "I am new on this site". Previously, Ive posted on ETL. I am still. In posting this, I thought y'all might be tired of hot weather. Its unusual to have snow in North Eastern BC in October, that is actually frozen fog, there, and its actually a blue sky day. Comments and suggestions, please!

Ramesh Adkoli
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Kat,

A nicely balanced image with good ambience. I thought the snow on the riverside was over exposed, so i downloaded the image and checked the histogram. It indicates a good exposure. Well done. It would be helpful if you could elaborate on how you metered this image.

regards,
ramesh

Katherine Enns
07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Hello Ramesh. I regret to say I am a bit of an eegit when it comes to metering. I dont use external meters, or havent since 1979 or so. I rely on the metering in the Canon Xsi, and sometimes I just ignore it and shoot it at what every I think might work, and end up shooting several exposures and angles of shot etc until I cant stand it anymore. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate your thoughts on this. It is odd how looking at an image will say one thing, and the histogram another, isnt it?

kat

Kobus Tollig
07-16-2009, 02:49 PM
REally nice one well done with this. good comp and exposure

Roman Kurywczak
07-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Katherine,
Nicely done compositionally and the exposure looks very good also. The mood set by the ice fog is what carries the image as well as the curve of the river. Only a small suggestion......check the color balnce......appears a bit blue....maybe a hair of yellow?....or adding a bit of green.....small preference for me and doesn't detract at all. I think you handled this very nicely!

Katherine Enns
07-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks Kobus and Roman for your kind words. I tried fiddling with the color, but I dont really know what I am doing. I am not very good with PS CS3 even though I have been using it for i dunno, months? a year? It appears that there are so many places to make changes to the hue and some of them seem to do nothing at all.

Jenny Wren
07-17-2009, 02:16 AM
Kat, I'm just venturing out of the ETL to have a look what the "pros" are doing...and you're already here! Composition and colours look good to me. Great shot.

JB Ellis
07-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Quite a beautiful image. The only thing I would do with it is print it so it could go an the wall.:)

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Katherine,
I tried it in PS......subtle but let me know what you think. I thought it was the blues.....but I pulled back on Cyan. Go to adjust> Color Balance......about +10 on the red slider. You can toggle the preview to see the difference. Just added a bit more depth. Let me know if you try it and how you like it.

Katherine Enns
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh thanks you guys, you are all really sweet. Roman, please dont hesitate to post your rework. I will try what you have done as well. I would like there to be something more in this photograph, as shooting in snow really eats up the color and you are left with a lot of monochrome or trichroma I guess. Also lodgepole pine turns a very dull olive green when cold, and at a distance for some reason this starts to register as a Payne's grey. Can someone please explain why this happens with photographs of forest vegetation in north temperate zone light at a distance. (Jenny, I am no pro!)

kat

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
you can feel the cold in this one. love the composition and details. would be interested to see the effect of Roman's suggestions.

Katherine Enns
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok....here it is with the adjustment to the cyan up +10 as per instructions.

I also shifted the white balance to cloudy. This does get rid of the blueness wash, but also brings up the olive green in the trees. Is it an improvement? Its more natural looking for sure, and more as it actually appeared.

THANKS!

Kat

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Nice work Kat, I think this is what Roman was looking for. Good - strong composition with the river leading from a corner into and around the image in an arc - good leading line.

Hazel Grant
07-26-2009, 11:21 AM
yes, nice work. I learned from this, too. Great comp for the shot, clear. But the color adjustment put it over the top.

Katherine Enns
07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Robert and Hazel! I can get the composition ok, but recognition of problems with light, and post processing, I am not good at yet. I wish I had more time for it right now. This making a living thing gets in the way.

kat