PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Dragonfly - #2

Steve Maxson
07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
This is a followup to my previous post. This Common Baskettail has pulled itself free from its larval skin and has already begun to use blood pressure to pump up its wings. It will hang like this for another hour or so as its wings expand to their full size. During this time they are helpless and vulnerable to predation by birds. 40D, Canon 180 f/3.5 macro, 0.8 sec, f/20, ISO 400, tripod, mirror lock, cable release, macro twin flash set at 1/16 power for fill. I removed some flash-generated spectral highlights. Comments are welcome.

Julie Kenward
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Another incredible image, Steve! The clarity that you have from head to tail and the perfect exposure really make this another extraordinary image. The fact that you can still see the white breathing 'straws' from the old body is amazing. Very well done.

Anita Bower
07-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Great subject matter and description. Thank you for contributing to my ongoing education. Lovely image. Beautifully composed and shot. Great detail and light. The colors are marvelous--the dragonfly looks golden against the green.

Connie Mier
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow, interesting study. Your skill is well demonstrated here; lighting, details, angle beautiful bg. Can't wait to see the more of this series.

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, Steve, not only a beautiful image, but such an incredible natural history document. Congratulations!

Don Lacy
07-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Very nice image Steve I have yet to come across this in the field were I could document as nicely as you have here.

Bruce Enns
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Very excellent Steve!! I had my first opportunity to photograph this process last year but didn't come away with anything near to what you've captured here! Fabulous details, great exposure, excellent composition, perfect background. Congrats!

Cheers!
Bruce