PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Head II won't come off from tripod

Markus Jais
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Hello,

sometimes I have trouble getting my Wimberley Head II off from my tripod (Gitzo 3540LS).
The head turns but the round thing that is attached to the tripod doesn't move (even when all knobs are tightened).

I have to use the hexagon socket screw key (hope this is the right English word) that comes with the Wimberley to put it into the little hole at the bottom and use that to increase the leverage to remove the Wimberlhey Head from the tripod.

That doesn't happen all the time but sometimes and normally when I am in the field, need to change the tripod head and forgot the above mentioned key :-)

Has anybody else ever had the same problem?

Markus

Daniel Stenberg
07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Isnīt it that what that hole is there for?

Iīm somewhat glad that the Wimberley is not easy to deattach from the tripod for my gears safety.

When I change triopd head or travel I tighten the knob and use a little screwdriver that I have in my camera bag to put in the hole and with the other hand firmly hold one of the tripod legs and then "twist" the two items apart.

// Daniel

Jackie Schuknecht
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
When I tighten my pan knob at the bottom, mine seems to grab and I can unscrew it off the gitzo.
This was in Artie's last Bulletin: don't know if it will help your or not:
Here is an e-mail exchange regarding tripod safety with Mike Murphy of Los Madrones, Hill Country, TX:
MM: Hi Artie, Here’s another rule for your big glass handling blurb: Be sure that the platform of your Gitzo tripod is tightly secured. At a recent workshop here in early May a Canon 600mm f/4 with a 1.4X TC and a Canon 1D Mark III hit the ground. The plate had separated from the legs.
AM: Thanks for the reminder. I will advise the boys and girls via Bulletin. Jim now tightens the platforms plates of every Gitzo tripod that we sell. You need to use one of the two star nosed tools that come with the tripods. Using some Blue (semi-permanent) Loc-tite would not be a bad plan. Be sure also to use the Loc-tite on your tripod feet to prevent loss. Later and love, artie
It sounds like your are doing this, maybe it was never tightened out of the factory so you will need to do it all of the time?? Sounds like Artie tightens them before sale, don't know if Gitzo does out of the factory??

Markus Jais
07-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for your answers. I will get a screwdriver with a size that fit's into the hole and then take that one with me.
Markus