Metering Mode Partial Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 400
Flash Type External E-TTL
Flash Exposure Compensation -1
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync

Jay Gould
07-16-2009, 04:21 AM
David, the iridescence of your capture is simply amazing. I would be tempted to crop a little off of the bottom just to enlarge the bird a bit more. The eye and head are sharp; there does appear to be two catchlights in the eye. Is that explained by the flash?

Your image has caused me to cyber over to your website - glad I did! You have a lot of wonderful images that I/We can learn from.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave Barnes
07-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Thanks Jay, Yes the two catchlights are as a result of the flash.
I understand your comment on the crop but this is a portrait crop from a pano capture and I am reluctant to more off. For the web it will be OK but I dont want to post anything that I would not be happy enlarging the original (prior to resizing for web) to 60x90 cm.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-16-2009, 06:25 AM
I like the perch, eye contact, iridescence and sharpness and would remove one of the catchlights. If you have more room at the top, I would prefer to see the flower unclipped.

Dave Barnes
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Axel thanks for looking and for comments.
Unfortunately no more room above, these aloes have long flowers.
I will remove one of the catchlights.

Erich Stevens
07-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Dave,

What a beautiful species! There appears to be a bit of motion blur in the bird's cheek and throat but it's probably light shimmering off the tiny feathers. To my eye the crop is a bit tight on the left. If anything I'd add some canvas there and bring the bird just to the left of center. Great work!

Kobus Tollig
07-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Great shot with great Flash work. I would just add some on left and take off the right, great shot well done

Daniel Cadieux
07-16-2009, 11:33 AM
With the flowers so tall and thin have you considered flipping your camera over to take some verticals? I think it would be worth it in order to see the flower not clipped above. I also wish the OOF flower was not there. I imagine these are wild plants with no chance to move them around. I too would like to see some canvas cropped at bottom...but I understand your point in not wanting to crop too much (another reason for taking some verticals if the opportunity permits it!). Awesome BG, and the subject looks great.

Stu Bowie
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Amazing iridescense Dave, and like the posture thinking where to feed next. I like the softer colours of the aloes. Well captured.

Ramon M. Casares
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Flower looks sharp in my monitor but the bird seems a tad soft.
BG color is what I am not crazy about actually. I would try to darken the whole thing as it seems a tad overexposed IMO.
Congratulations, great natural moment and lovely species.

Dave Barnes
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks to all for looking and for comments and suggestions they are all appreciated.

Ryan Lambert
07-17-2009, 12:31 AM
You have captured the colors of the sunbird very well, the color of the Aloe flowers looks spot-on as well. I would tend to agree with a slightly tighter crop as suggested from the bottom...

Dave Barnes
07-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks Ryan.