PDA

View Full Version : The Puffin Wonders Which Way To Go...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone!
It has been a while since my last post but I would like to share some puffin images that I took last week during a visit to Skomer Island. The challenge for me is to find a different point of view - puffins have to be one of the most photographed birds and the danger is that one will come away with the same pictures as 5000 other photographers...
So here is today's offering!
50D 300 f2.8 + 1x4 converter
ISO 200
F5.6 1/1250 sec
Exp comp -0.3
Harsh sunny conditions and I have added canvas to the left.
Comments/critiques welcomed.
Many thanks, best to all,
Nicki

Connie Mier
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Nicki, I think you accomplished your goal! I was immediately drawn to the pano and was pleasantly surprised to see the branch. Love the bg too. The only thing I would do is try to add a bit more contrast.
Connie

Alfred Forns
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
You do come up with different and refreshing puffing images !!!

Love the behavior, low angle and feel !!! .. agree on the contrast Big Congrats !!!

Doug Brown
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
You're a woman of your word! Welcome back Nicki! I didn't think you got any sunshine out there ;). Great pose with some nice behavior. What's in the BG? I like the pano crop here. I'd probably lighten the iris a little, and I might try to bring out a bit more detail in the blacks. Good to see you back.

Jay Gould
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Nikki, on the VERY positive side I like the fact that the puffin's colors are soft and match the softness of the BG. Your puffin is soft yet very sharp as we can see the feather points in both the darks and lights.

In the LLHC, a suggestion would be to either remove the darkness of the - I assume - flower, or to clone out the darkness and leave it a soft white.

I like the way the flowers on both sides of the puffin hide/soften the body.

Desmond Chan
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey, at least you have puffins to photograph!

Perhaps it's the whites on the face, I think it has enough contrast already (unless I'm looking at a repost). I would burn the area around the eye a bit to get more details showing.

Thanks for sharing !

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Interesting composition, good eye contact and the stick adds to it. Adding to the other comments, I would remove the magenta cast.

Ramon M. Casares
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
No the ideal light and crop is too tight IMO.
Nice BG and colors. The little flower in the lower right corner is a tad distracting to me.
Congratulations!

Brian Barcelos
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Nicki, Very subtle and pleasing image. Love the composition and the twig. I also find the flower on LRC a bit distracting. Congrats

Brian

Stu Bowie
07-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Nikki, I find the detail and colours on these guys amazing. Im not familiar with their nesting habits, so not sure if the stick is building material or a "toy". I agree, a little more contrast will make this pop. I would also clone out the OOF plant below the end of the stick.

Ryan Lambert
07-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I personally like the composition, something different. The image does need a bit of contrast though, being careful not to blow the whites.

Kiran Poonacha
07-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Beautiful one, the grass in its beak add well, the colours are looking a little flat and more room would look better.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Everyone and thanks you so much for your kind comments and suggestions - most constructive as always!!
The repost comes with added contrast and I have toned down the whites a little on the face, also the OOF flower in the LLC. I do think that this has improved the image - do you?
It feels great to be back amongst my forum buddies...:D:D
Best to all,
Nicki

Gal Shon
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Very nicelu built, unusual comp that's workoing very well.
I like the repost better

Mark Fuge
07-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice image.

I don't have a problem with the OOF on the bottom right, but do with the OOF on the bottom left. My eye keeps going there instead of the bird. Otherwise, I like the image as is.