PDA

View Full Version : butterflies

Valerio Tarone
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
BPN
I would like to introduce my butterfly-insect-spiders garden. Situated in a temperate area in NW Italy, the mountains aren't far, but the sea is not too far. It allows to have both mediterrean and low-mountain flowers.The snow, last winter was 2 m. high!. So, for example I've got common lavender,also an english hybrid lavender.. red valerian,rosemary, thimes.
Here: Cedronella (Brimstone) 300 mmf4, 1/2000 spot ,tripod. ISO 200
My idea is always to shot a buttefly flying, till now it does not happen...or without appreciable results. I prefer to use a agile, light zoom as 70-300,or 300 mmf4 with or not with a ext.tube and.. to stay, wait and see.

Thomas Herou
07-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice image of the Brimstone.I like the light and the lighter area in the bg.
Maybe I would crop it some more and place the butterfly more to the left
in the picture.The saturation is a little high in my opinion,but that's a matter of taste.

Valerio Tarone
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi thomas
I've forgotten:in nikon Capture: saturation +25 contrast +5 small work on curves/levels luminosity<
I don't know how it came out the ligther central part, I like it. I don't know because were some dozen of shot..in mot part eliminated!

Connie Mier
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Valerie, I like this with the lighter bg highlighting the butterfly. Great colors, nice artistic feel to it. I agree with above, I would want it to be more left of center. Wishing the foreground flower was not there also, for a cleaner look.
connie

Kaushik Balakumar
07-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Liked the details and colours on the butterfly. The BG is very interesting with a natural vignetting (cum spotlight) kind of effect.
Not so comfortable with the OOF flower in the front but I guess it could'nt have been helped...

Julie Kenward
07-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Valerio, I think this would be much stronger compositionally if you had moved around a bit and put the butterly more in the center of the lighted BG area, then cropped in close. It probably would have eliminated the OOF flower and maybe even given you a more heads-on view of the butterfly. I like what you did here but feel a much tighter crop and no OOF flower would be stronger.

Valerio Tarone
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
THANK YOU to all. Julie 'yes you're right, this is 300mmf4 on a tripod and these butterflies are quick moving, unforeseebles. As I do and explained, the only way is to do many trials in digital, after choose the few 'not too bad'. NB. some buddleias are growing and I'll try something a bit different! (did you the Ingo Arndt monarchs?)..

Anita Bower
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
The beautiful green and red colors jump out at me--very nice. I wish the butterfly were larger in the frame so I could see it better.

Valerio Tarone
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Anita,thank you for the message. As Julie and others mentioned, it must be a bit cropped on the left. Cheers!