PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite calling

Fabs Forns
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Captured this morning, early AM, Loxahatchee NWR.

Date: 7/15/09
Time: 7:38:35 AM
Model: NIKON D300
Frame #: 8979
Lens (mm): 700
ISO: 500
Aperture: 5.6
Shutter: 1/1250
Sky enhanced with Viveza

Ramon M. Casares
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice natural moment with great light and fantastic comp although a little less room on top IMO would be better. In my monitor it looks a tad overexposed, I would suggest darkening the whole thing a bit or at least to tone down the sky could do.
Congratulations Fabs. Very nice.

Stu Bowie
07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
How is that beak Fabs. Great headon angle to see right inside. I like the light and detail, and I feel the exposure looks fine. If anything, I would take off the bottom.

Brian Barcelos
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Very nice exposure Fabs. Was he screaming at you to see if you had any escargot for him.:D Love the eye contact and catch lights. Congrats.

Brian

Erich Stevens
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Great moment and detail captured. The bird's intensity really comes through.

Kiran Poonacha
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
beautiful one Fabs, loved the calling pose.. just would tone down a bit and a give a bit more room on the right.

Markus Jais
07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Great calling pose. Beautiful light. I, too, would like to see a little more room on the right but this is great as it is.

Markus

david cramer
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Great eye contact and action. Nice light and detail as well. I also think it's a bit tight on the right, and would remove some off the bottom. Exposure looks good to me.

Ilija Dukovski
07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I love the facial expression on that bird, some mean look.
Great capture of the moment!

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
awesome pose and look! I agree with Ramon - slightly darker will be super, also would add a tad to the right and make it tighter top and bottom.

Leo Berzins
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Wonderful eye contact and detail. Great use of early morning light.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2009, 03:33 PM
The wide-open beak makes this very cool. Good light and details, too. If it were mine I might crop it a bit wider.

Ryan Lambert
07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
The open beak really adds to the image, agree with Axel on the crop, If anything I would play around with the levels to make this guy really come alive. Super image none-the-less.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Beautiful. I also echo the suggestions for more room on the right. Exposure seems fine to me. The eyes are captivating. I keep looking at them.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ramon M. Casares
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
If I may, here's what I would have done in the PP.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Great pose and looks cranky. :D I find the image just a fraction light for my taste. It is subjective though. You captured a great moment. Thanks for sharing Fabs.

Connie Mier
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Fabs, great timing. I like the repost version and no cropping needed IMO.
Connie

Michael Wolf
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
If I may, here's what I would have done in the PP.

I would have to say that this is not at all how the scene looked as your repost has too much of an orange cast
and the saturation is too exaggerated, where as Fabs image is spot on for color accuracy and how the actual scene existed.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Hola Fabs, I like your husband image but yours is rocking!

Love the attitude of this guy and the sweet light.

Ramon M. Casares
07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I would have to say that this is not at all how the scene looked as your repost has too much of an orange cast
and the saturation is too exaggerated, where as Fabs image is spot on for color accuracy and how the actual scene existed.

Were you there that day Micheal?
PP, IMO, is a preety personal thing, how many times do we se images that are not at all how the scene looked in real life (subexposed images, overexposed images, high key images, B&W images, etc) I just wanted to share what I would have done with it. :)

Michael Wolf
07-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Were you there that day Micheal?
PP, IMO, is a preety personal thing, how many times do we se images that are not at all how the scene looked in real life (subexposed images, overexposed images, high key images, B&W images, etc) I just wanted to share what I would have done with it. :)

Ramon,

That is the beauty of being allowed to have our own artistic license!

I only commented because I was standing 3 feet from Fabs shooting the same bird, so I can safely
and accurately say her image represents exactly how the colors / color tempetures were
at the time the image was taken.

Cheers.

Jay Gould
07-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Fabs, the image is a 10. I am not surprised that the bird is screaming; your rammed you lens does its throat! ;) :D

You certainly have the touch. :cool:

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM
killer pose/eye contact and beautiful warm light!!!

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks you guys!

Ramon, thanks for showing me your version. I agree with Michael, your repost has too much red, but colors are difficult to asses when you are not in the place :)
Yes, Michael was next to me and has the same picture :)

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
The lighting was same this morning and my RAW files look exactly like Fabs.

When I see very different processing results, I wonder if there is something going on with one of the monitors???

Ramon M. Casares
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I only commented because I was standing 3 feet from Fabs shooting the same bird (...)

Well then, I will shut up now :D:D

Still, maybe not colorwise, but with a tad more contrast IMO it works better.

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Well then, I will shut up now :D:D

Still, maybe not colorwise, but with a tad more contrast IMO it works better.

I could go darker with no problem.
Thanks, Ramon :)