PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Rosella

John Cooper
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Crimson Rosella at nesting hollow. Unlike most other birds the rosella will selectively feed her young, pulling back from begging chicks and seeking out ones that have missed out, thus ensuring all the brood are fed equally!!

Canon EOS 5, Canon 100-400mm at 350mm, Fuji RDP 100, 1/125 F11, Hide on tower (hollow at 18feet) natural light and fill-flash Tripod.

Oops!! Not intended to post here, but what the heck!!

Gayle Clement
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Beautifully colored bird. I love the pose. Thanks for the information about this bird.

David Steele
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Stunning John, and a great balance of bewteen the very colourful (and beautiful) but fairly dark rosella and the light-coloured tree trunk. (BTW the trunk is also beautiful.) I would be very proud if this was mine but would be tempted to shave a bit off the right.

Harold Davis
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
when i saw the small photo of the bird on the forum page, the first thought is a B&W background. boy, that bird would really pop if you converted the BG to black and white.

beautiful bird, john!! i like the pose.

Judd Patterson
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
John, this image and the bird are both beauties! Well done on the hide setup, exposure, and use of flash! Thinking on the composition, what about an image placing the bird somewhat in the lower-right with this composition to give her more room to look into the frame? The downside is that would remove most of the tree trunk, which does add to this image in my opinion. One other suggestion is a slightly altered hide position (to the right) so that the bird would be less likely to "touch" the background tree trunk...it's certainly minor, but just a point I wanted to mention. Very fine work on display here!

hal bruce
02-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Beautiful image John. We get them around here (Shellharbour) but I've never photographed one.
Lots around feeders up on Saddleback Mountain.
eland