PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose REFLECTION

Chris Dodds
07-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Image Copyright Christopher Dodds All Rights Reserved
Snow Goose Chen caerulescens Oie des neiges Bosque del Apache NWR New Mexico
Canon 1DsIII, 500F4IS, 2XII ISO250 F16 1/250s

Trying to get something different from amongst the millions of images taken at Bosque is getting harder ever year. It's fun when you get something that you like :) After seeing this Snow Goose stretch it's wings, I carefully maneuvered my way around the pond edge until I had a clean image of just this one bird. As birds often do, it repeated it's behavior about twenty minutes after I set-up. Just seconds later, another goose got into the frame and the opportunity was gone. Interesting to note that I thought the money shot would be with wings fully extended, but this was much more peaceful and pleasing.

Graham Smith.
07-15-2009, 09:21 AM
very nice shot Chris - I like it a lot!
I like that you kept the entire reflection in the frame. I agree - it is a very peaceful photo...The warm lighting and reflection on bird's chest is a nice touch. I would've expected much more rippples in the water while the bird was stretching.

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
At least hard to get a bird isolated from the crowd :) Yu did it well.
Awesome colors, reflection, sharpness. Just a very minor CCW rotation is needed ;)

Szimi

colincarter
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
lovely shot Chris, i agree with Gyorgy in that a slight rotation is needed and i would have added a little space on the right for the bird to look into, its a little too central in my opinion.

David Fletcher
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
This is very very pleasing to the eye Chris. Rotation already mentioned so all I can add, is this is certainly on the money!

david cramer
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
This makes me miss the birds at the Bosque. Very nice image with great light and good detail. I would also like a bit more room on the right for the bird to look into. A very creative image.

Ramon M. Casares
07-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Stunning light, terrific expposure, colors and detail, superb comp and great overall image. JUst congratulations Chris!

Daniel Cadieux
07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Beautiful image, with a unique pose. Your mission was accomplished! I agree with ever so slight CCW rotation. I'm OK with the comp as is. You could add space at right, but you certainly don't need much, and if you do you'll need to add the equivalent above and below to keep the same ratio. I love the reflecting water ripples on the goose's body.

Fabs Forns
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Sweet pose with great light. I like the reflection and the compos as well.

Stu Bowie
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the head turn, and well timed to capture the wings symmetrically. The water reflection on the body adds, and I like the darker colour of the water.

Stephen Earle
07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
The light refelcting from the water makes this image for me. I can imagine that outstretched wings won't have the same effect.

Kiran Poonacha
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Superb execution of exposure control, loved the pose and the reflextion add well to this beautiful frame.. congrats.

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm a sucker for a good reflection shot, and this is as good as they come. I'm with Stephen - the water lines reflecting off the plumage puts it over the top. I don't see the need for rotation.

Gal Shon
07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Beautifully made.

I'm with Stephen - the water lines reflecting off the plumage puts it over the topI agree.

The signature is a bit big for me.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Great light, pose and sharpness. Composition works for me and I would only tone down the whites on the neck a bit.

Dave Barnes
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I like the shot as presented. Good colour, detail and story.

Rene Quenneville
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Great piece of art Monsieur Dodds, I like it a lot.