PDA

View Full Version : Keeper of the night

Travis Novitsky
02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
This image was made on June 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM, about an hour after the moonrise. The moon was directly behind me, and the light on the tree and rocks is entirely from the moon. There were some fast-moving clouds in the sky, resulting in the "cloud streaks".

Equipment used: Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens at 18mm
exposure length: 66 seconds
aperture: f3.5
ISO 800
In-camera noise reduction was turned on.

Any thoughts/comments/critique are appreciated.....do you love it or hate it, would you have done anything differently...let me know. Thanks!

Gerald Kelberg
02-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi Travis,
This is a really intriguing image - the contradiction of almost perfect 'daylight' and the stars. That tree is an amazing tree with its twists and curls - and the fact that the image is made by moonlight only... wow!
This is way ahead of my skills level, but I am inspired to see what I could do with this technique and way of thinking. Maybe I would look to have more clear sky to emphasise the night time aspect.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Gerald

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Travis,

I really like the idea and you executed it well. The cloud streaks are fantastic - just the right amount. I would have liked to see either a bit more of the bush on the left edge and not just small protrusions into the frame or none at all. My preference would be for a bit more.

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Well executed image... Agree with Roberts suggestions on the left side of the frame. I understand that composition at night is difficutl....

Travis Novitsky
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks, guys......and I was wondering about those branches on the left. Thanks for your thoughts on those. This is a difficult location to shoot....not a lot of options for where to stand and compose your image. This tree is right on the shores of Lake Superior, and its very rugged shoreline with lots of places where one could easily fall in. I was standing on a rock with only a couple of feet of space on either side of me.....two more steps in either direction and you're in the water....its only a foot deep on one side, but over 20 feet deep on the other side, and quickly drops off to about 80 feet deep. I wish I had a full-frame camera so I could get a wider perspective from this vantage point....as backing up really is not feasible! Thanks again for your input - much appreciated!

Here is another image of the tree, to give you an idea what its like to shoot there....."Keeper of the night" was made on the opposite side of the tree, standing on the rocks below...right at the water's edge. As you can see, not a lot of places to shoot from....but its still one of my favorite subjects. And not to worry, there was no ice on those rocks when I made the "Keeper of the night" image!

Gayle Clement
02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Travis,
I've revisited this image several times. I do love that marvelously twisted trunk. I agree that even a little more on the left would add to the image. It was fun to see the shooting conditions.

Kenn Christensen
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Travis...
the spirit tree is always beautiful.. and I really dont think anyone shoots it better than you... you seem to have that spirit inside of you as well....

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree with Kenn...you are a kindred spirit of the tree! I like the feeling of motion with the clouds and I like the stars peaking through. As for a wider angle...that would be great, but I have been there shooting with you and know this is not an option. C'mon Canon...where is that 5D replacement!

Anita Rakestraw
02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi, Travis, beautiful image of the Spirit Tree with the clouds and stars in moonlight; and I enjoyed seeing the Tree in context of its fuller surroundings. Agree with Kenn and Gary about your own spirit; you seem to have a great affinity for Nature and for the land where you live, and I admire that about you in addition to your ability to convey all that in your signature images!

Travis Novitsky
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you kindly, everyone, for your comments on this image. This tree is indeed a very spiritual place....probably why I like spending so much time there. Its also a challenge to shoot, which is another reason why I like to go there :)

Mike Moats
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Travis, Love It.