PDA

View Full Version : Portland Headlight Maine

Grady Weed
02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I have always loved lighthouses. And here in Maine we have quite a few. The South Portland Headlight is widely know for great sunrises, fierce storms and easy access. You can't loose when you go here. Since for me it is only 1 hours drive, I can go often in all kinds of weather.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 4/5/2007 11:28:56, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO 400, Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 28.0 mm. Shot from tripod with cable release with winds in excess of 70 mph. I thought I might have to tie off to the fence in front of me. It was one rough storm. And that was after it had passed.

Weather conditions for shooting are obvious. My intent was to show the ferocity of the sea and the beauty of the headlight. How does the old girl and the old man of the sea look to you?

Raymond Packard
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Grady,
I have photographed this lighthouse many times, but your photo is really beautiful.
thanks for sharing it with us.
Ray

Gayle Clement
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I love the wide angle and the beautiful waves. I can imagine those strong winds. This spot must be spectacular at sunrise/sunset.

If you're not against cloning something out, the dark tower/lighthouse on the far right is a bit distracts and takes away a bit from this beautiful image.

Grady Weed
02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I have spectacular sunrises to post. Stay tuned.

Gerald Kelberg
02-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Grady,
This shot is really awesome - one heck of a storm. I like the almost monochromatic effect of the sea and the snow. Since I am here to learn - is the curve on the horizon from lens distortion? Can that be fixed?
Given the wind and the cold, I am glad it was you that was there and not me!;)
Thanks, Gerald

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Grady,

Did you do any slow shutter speed images at this location. If not you must return to do them. The shutter speed used here captures the strength of the surf and that one aspect of working this scene. A slow shutter speed would be another aspect to investigate.

I like the amount of sky included and the location of the lighthouse in the images. i like the curve of the shore from the FG leading you to the light house. On the bottom edge, lower right a small protrusion of rock that can be cloned. Also along the bottom, I would have liked to see the complete arc of the cliff you are standing on assuming of course you could have positioned yourself to include it.

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
You captured your intent well. A very dramatic image.. I might have liked a bit more FG and a little less sky.....