PDA

View Full Version : Where is Good Place to Get Hiking Attire for 100 Degree Desert?

Michael Pancier
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm looking to find cool shirts with good SPF protection for hiking in 100+ degree desert.

Any suggestions?

William Malacarne
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Others will probably give specific places but do a Google on "hot weather hiking gear" and many will come up.

Bill

Jackie Schuknecht
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.tilley.com/certified_sun.asp (http://www.tilley.com/certified_sun.asp) They are Canadian Michael. They make the well known Tilley hat. Anyways I have purchased a lot of their stuff and have never been disappointed.

Alfred Forns
07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link Jackie !!!

... Mike you will great in a Tilley hat :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Michael,
Campmor in NJ has all different types and manufacturers. Remember.....in that heat hydrate, hydrate , hydrate.

Mike Tracy
07-15-2009, 05:53 AM
If you are going long distances I would suggest a camelbak or equivalent.

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs.aspx

Jim Neiger
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Mike,

I used Columbia sportswear that I purchased at Bass Pro when I spent a lot of time hiking in similar conditions in Australia. Dry days with temps reaching 112 or so were typical in the Western Australia outback. My Australian friends were wearing the same type of gear. They purchased it while visiting Florida.

Michael Pancier
07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Mike,

I used Columbia sportswear that I purchased at Bass Pro when I spent a lot of time hiking in similar conditions in Australia. Dry days with temps reaching 112 or so were typical in the Western Australia outback. My Australian friends were wearing the same type of gear. They purchased it while visiting Florida.

There's one by my office. I'll check it out. I know they mainly have hunting and fishing gear, but most places I see seem to be more geared for cold weather.

I just want some long sleeve cool shirts with SPF

Roman Kurywczak
07-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry Michael.....forgot the link....they do mail order & carry columbia.... so you may want to compare $$$.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_

Jim Neiger
07-15-2009, 09:26 AM
There's one by my office. I'll check it out. I know they mainly have hunting and fishing gear, but most places I see seem to be more geared for cold weather.

I just want some long sleeve cool shirts with SPF

They have exactly what you want, Mike. Very light, breathable, SPF 30. They also have very light pants with zip off bottoms so they become shorts and they dry very quickly when they get wet. The pants are also SPF 30 I think. You can also get them at Gander Mountain.

Cal Walters
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I just bought some things last night. ExOfficio brand as well as Columbia brand has some excellent pants and shirts - super light weight and with either sun or bug screens. I got it at REI COOP. There is REICOOP.COM as well as their stores.

Mark Theriot
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
I second the Columbia wear (Bass ProShops and Cabelas).

They have summer shirts (short and long sleeve) that are made of very cool and light fabric with a mesh air vent in the back. As a bonus, quite a few small pockets (great for memory cards, batteries, etc)

Mark

Rene A
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Michael,

Very often Bealls stores have Columbia on sale for 1/2 price

Garry Gibson
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I would add a second for the Columbia, wear them all the time summer and winter and the long sleeve
is even comfortable in Florida Summers. Great protection from the sun as well.
They do have lots of pockets to add little things.

have fun on your trip.

GG

Mark Theriot
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I was out in direct sun for 7 hours this Saturday with the Columbia - kept me cool and vented with no burn.

Mark

sue jarrett
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
sportsmansguide.com has Columbia shirts on sale off and on. I have both short and long sleeve cotton ones and they are great in the SC and FL heat and sun. Most manufacturers are pushing the nylon sweat wicking versions -- they work great where there is no humidity, like the desert, but I almost died in one in SC in the summer. I threw it away and will stick with cotton only now.

Michael Pancier
08-15-2009, 12:40 PM
well I picked up 4 long sleeve Columbia shirts and shorts as well at Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shops and they were fantastic for hiking in Sedona in 95 degree heat as well as in the Grand Canyon....