PDA

View Full Version : Piping Plover in Flight

Bob Malbon
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Just before sun down on Monday at Goose Rocks Beach in Maine. Nesting seems to have gone well this year - counted 12 fledglings who are 2 weeks ahead of last year. This with 25 days of rain in June and more than 1/2 of July cold and rainy. Back to the image: http://www.bobmalbonphoto.com/img/v3/p374031783-4.jpg
It was feeding time with the tide falling, several species of pipers around plus the local P. Plovers - This adult came up over a dune and I pointed the 1DMk3 on the 500f4 at iso400, 1/1250, f5.6, AIservo, manual exp. Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Rich Steel
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Bob

Loves the colours and setting of this photo. The colours of the background and the bird really compliment each other. A tough bird to cacth in flight if they are anything like our ringed plovers which are similar. I like the movement in the wings but overall the bird is looking a little soft on my monitor.

cheers

Rich

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
WOW, a tricky try. Nice image despite or by the blurred wings. :)
Lovely bird indeed. Also like to see the habitat.

Szimi

Stu Bowie
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I like the angle of approach in this, together with the slanting dune. With such a fast ss, Im amazed you have that much wing blur.

Bob Malbon
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Stuart, Back checked the SS and it was 1/1000. Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Axel Hildebrandt
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I like the light, low angle, setting and wing blur and would selectively sharpen the head more.

David Fletcher
07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow! Interesting and intriguing. Wish you'd gone for a higher ISO to squeeze a bit more ss to help the body and head sharpness. Guess not many seconds to decide on that.

Juan Aragonés
07-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Wow I missed this excelent image. Not easy to get something like this and the crop really works in terms of composition. I am assuming that this one is a crop because if this is a full frame image you are going to kill me Bob :-)