PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest fern

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
This morning while out on a 5km bushwalk in some really rough country, I spent some time capturing ferns. I always had them in mind. Not sure what you think of this image.

30D, EF24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 62mm, f/5.6, 1/30th, HH, no flash. iso800, Cropped.

Rene Quenneville
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Interresting comp. Subject fills the frame and attracts attention. DOF is still too big, the background is busy. You were in need for an f/2.8 lens.
The ambiant light is not the best. Miss directionality and creates a lot of shinny spots on the main subject.
I would try to make a B&W with lots of contrast and burning the frame edges.

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Akos, I have to agree with Rene. The plant appears to be pretty much all on the same focal plane so going with a wider aperture certainly would have made sense. Another option would have been to groom beneath the plant before making the image so we wouldn't be so distracted by the sticks and leaves.

Ideally, if you could have found this plant on top of the moss covered area directly behind it I think that might have made for an interesting green-on-green image but this one just isn't one of my favorites of yours. I, too, would convert this to black and white, blackening out the entire BG and really working up the plant into as many shades of white-to-black as you can.

Mike Moats
07-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Hey Akos, nice idea but have to agree with the other on the techs, I wouldn't give up this one but would retry again making sure the front of the lens is perfectly parallel with the plant and shoot wide open. Use a diffuser over top of the plant to cut down the glare.

Anita Bower
07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
A challenging fern to photograph. I agree with above comments. I hope you keep trying.