View Full Version : Oystercatcher

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Canon 40D
500mm
1/400 sec.at f/5.6
ISO 200
Tripod

This is my first Oystercatcher. I had the pleasure of meeting Grace Scalzo, she was very nice :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I like the placement of the babe. Perfect HA too. I feel the FG to BG ratio is also ideal. Would you say the Bg is a little noisy perhaps?

David Roach
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Great light, exposure,details and look back(DOF spot on for this pose). I also like the painterly feel of the OOF grasses. Great angle as well; both the feet and getting the bird on the sand BG. Congrats!!

Brian Barcelos
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Very nice Denise, Is this a juvenile? Exposure looks great and I like the clump of grass on the right, it balances the image nicely. Very sharp and nice warm light. Only thing I would change is the blades of OOF grass between the clump and bird.

Brian

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Nice image of a shy youngie, Denise. Lights are beautiful. I might go for a tighter crop however I love to see the surroundings.

Szimi

Axel Hildebrandt
07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I like the setting and good idea that you didn't go for a very low angle to have the BG split somewhere lower and might crop a tad off the bottom. I think I saw this guy a couple of weeks ago and he was much smaller.

Mike Lentz
07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Nice light and pose. My first thought was to crop it tighter as well, but that would take out the clump of grass on the right , so I changed my thought on the crop as it balances out the comp.

P.S. Grace is nice, isn't she?! :)

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Nice light and pose. My first thought was to crop it tighter as well, but that would take out the clump of grass on the right , so I changed my thought on the crop as it balances out the comp.

P.S. Grace is nice, isn't she?! :)

Grace really is very nice and it's amazing how much we had in common!:)

Thanks everyone!! Axel, I think I will take a bit off the bottom-thanks

Stu Bowie
07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
The little guy is pin sharp Denise, and it looks like he is quite aware of you. I like the DOF in the FG too.

Ramon M. Casares
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I like the scene, light, detail, BG and pose, I would've tryed getting lower or higher to avoid the horizon line to be so close to the bird's head.
Congratulations!

Steve Large
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Denise,
Nice sharpness and colors on this one. I think that I would also have cropped it a bit tighter. We have Oyster Catchers out here on the west coast as well but they are mainly black and brown with bright orange beaks, yellow eyes and bright pink legs.

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey Denise,
Congrats on the first OC! They were giving feeding lessons today. The small one with line around legs was limping badly:(:(:(. Nice job with the environs and agree with a bit off the bottom.

James Salywoda
07-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Beautiful image Denise I love your composition and the slightly lifted leg on this Juvie.:)

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Denise,
Congrats on the first OC! They were giving feeding lessons today. The small one with line around legs was limping badly:(:(:(. Nice job with the environs and agree with a bit off the bottom.

I hope someone is able to help him. I hope the conservation people get him.

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Thankyou all for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

Gal Shon
07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Very nice light and habitat, Congrats on your first Oystercatcher.
I just wish he would walk towards you

denise ippolito
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Gal, Thanks for looking in!!:)