PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's Doing It....

David Roach
07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
The non-wading fly-by hunting technique, that is...
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 500 F5.6@1/4000

Brian Barcelos
07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Very nice, I like the balance the OOF bird brings. Only wish for a better view of the front birds left wing and I would sharpen his head a little more.

Brian

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Lovely pose. Thanks for describing the story behind. Nice the blurred copy of the Egret.
What is the surface? Mud or water? It has a strange texture. :)

Szimi

David Roach
07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi Gyorgy, This is water too deep for these waders (THUS THE HOVERING/SKIMMING TECNIQUE) and is covered by duckweed (a floating plant- http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/floating_plants/common_duckweed.htm).

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I was about to say duckweed. :) gee, those ducks are even on weed. :D

Love the design of your image with the sharp and OOF birds. A little better wing on the sharp one would be good, but it is what it is. I doubt this kind of image is something one can replicate over and over. Thanks for sharing! :)

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
David, I really like the way the front bird is gliding in. I like the inclusion of the OOF bird and the textured water adds to the comp. Maybe a bit more room up front. Beautiful image!!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I like the soft light, details and crop idea. I wish the underside of the near wing were visible and agree regarding more room to fly into on the left.

David Roach
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks as always for the learnings!! I originally had more on the left (as I have it) but it just messed up the balance and design with the second OOF bird (IMO). I have some better wing positions on the in focus bird but was too close to the juxtaposition OOF bird or already past me. As Akos says this is a surrendipitous catch; not easy to replicate.

Stu Bowie
07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Well exposed, sharp, and love the flying posture David. Im not too keen on the OOF egret, so I would crop off the top, to the line of the OOF bent legs, clone the rest of the feet away, and add to the left.

Ramon M. Casares
07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Nice light, exposure, colors and detail, I wish for a better wing position in both birds but I know that that is too much to ask for. Less room at the bottom and more to the left might improve comp IMO.
Congratulations!