PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Bug with Prey

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Alfred is right...these guys love to hide! Look beneath the flowerheads and there they are...hiding out in the shade! Even with f8 I could have used a little more DOF on those two insects...darn it!

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f8 @ 1/100th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural daylight
Processed in ACR & CS4; medium crop, levels and curves adjustment

Kaushik Balakumar
07-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Nice 'action moment' Jules. Agree with u on more DOF. However, that wud mean inability to freeze the moment (i.e. motion blur). Nature photography always has challenges.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I really like insect behavior images, Jules and you did well here considering that they were underneath the flowers. As you say, a little more DOF would help. You might also try brightening the two insects a little. The assassin looks like it might be a juvenile Wheel Bug and the prey might be a type of Soldier Beetle, but it's hard to be certain from this viewing angle. :)

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
You know, Steve, I wondered about whether that was an assassin bug for sure but the "nose" seemed to fit...I'll go take another look and see if it is a wheel bug.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
You know, Steve, I wondered about whether that was an assassin bug for sure but the "nose" seemed to fit...I'll go take another look and see if it is a wheel bug.

Hi Julie. Just to be clear, a Wheel Bug is a type of assassin bug - and a large one at that. My daughter, who is really into invertebrates, once picked up an adult Wheel Bug and was quickly stabbed in the finger tip by its beak. She said it was the most pain she had ever experienced - just think how other insects feel! :( :(

Stephen Stephen
07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Nicely captures Jules. I like behavioural images.

I would second Steve's comment about brightening the insects a bit.

Anita Bower
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I like how the bugs are framed by the flowers and stems. Lovely BG. An action shot. I'm certainly learning about bugs on this forum.