PDA

View Full Version : Dendrobium parishii

John Lowin
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
This is another specie orchid from my collection. The entire plant is about five inches in height. It has bloomed for me on both new, as well as old canes. I have included one of the previously bloomed canes in the image to show it's appearance. I love the very fuzzy lip. Photographed by window light on my breakfast room table. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn.

f/32 1.30s ISO 800
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Oh, good! A new orchid image!!!

John, this is extremely nice. I just can't get over how nicely you get these entire plants in focus from front to back...you really do an outstanding job on that each and every time. I love how much detail you have on the inside of the "slipper" area of this flower - that's simply amazing!

My one suggestion (and it's pretty minor) would be to have stopped the frame at the bottom just a tad bit lower so the entire "nodule" was included instead of being cut off. Everything else is really fantastic - lovely BG and your composition feels just right - nice room around the frame and nothing in the image that doesn't add to the beauty of it. Well done!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Beautiful colours, lovely details. f/32 is providing good & much needed DOF.
A lovely image overall.

Thomas Herou
07-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Very nice image of this beauty!

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Very nice colors, sharpness, and DOF, John. This is a very interesting looking flower. I would be tempted to crop a little off the right. Well done.

Joseph Martines
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
It must be a great feeling to live with such beautiful creations and then to be able to capture an image for the time when the flower is gone.

Thanks for sharing.

John Lowin
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
It must be a great feeling to live with such beautiful creations and then to be able to capture an image for the time when the flower is gone.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Joseph, It is a great feeling especially when it is below zero in winter, and we have two feet of snow outside. However, right now I have the entire collection to repot and I've barely made a dent so far. Lots of work. - John

Richard Lovison
07-17-2009, 05:03 PM
John,

I like the flower grouping, the color of the background and the quality of the light. What I find a bit distracting is the stem to the right. Possibly consider removing the stem and making a square crop or a slight vertical.