PDA

View Full Version : Masked Lapwing

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 04:51 PM
A common Aussie bird, often nests in public parks in the middle of suburbia etc. Not the sharpest pencil in the box, if you get my drift. :)

Captured bathing along my local river early last year. I used a concrete path lower than the bird to approach and photograph at eye level. I have a lot of images and posted one or two before, but not this one. I like the uniform BG.

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM, 1.4x, ISO400, f/9, 1/1600th, (-1 and don't ask why, this was a year and a half ago), 70% of original.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Akos....beautiful capture. I really like the low angle, the calm water and the clean BG. The yellow and the white on the cheek look a little hot on my laptop. If you still have the raw file, you might want to try reducing the contrast a bit before further PP. Details and texture in the wings is excellent.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Axel Hildebrandt
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I like the sharpness, setting, BG, and eye contact. Could you have moved a bit to your left for a better angle? The yellows look a tad overexposed, probably a jpg conversion issue.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
One more thing. A little more room at the top will help IMO. The lack of space for virtual feet does not bother me much...but my guess is it will bother some others :-) Same with HA.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Doug Brown
07-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Nice pose and BG; the low angle really strengthens the image. I'd like to see a bit more room up top. Yellows look fine on my laptop. The bill looks a little funny at the angle near the tip; kind of hazy.

Mike Lentz
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
The low perspective, BG and exposure are all top notch. Maybe add a bit up top, not much.

Harold Davis
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
fantastic detail in a beautiful bird, akos. agree with doug that the bill tip looks different. maybe the bird? very clean!! good show, mate!

Simon Bennett
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
A fine image - I like the low angle, pose and crisp presentation.

denise ippolito
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Beautiful details and pose. The low angle is nice. I like the water color and the BG colors- Agree w/ a bit more room on top. I never saw one of these-they are quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Leo Berzins
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice low angle and lighting. The background colour works well with this subject.

Joe Senzatimore
07-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Love the low angle and detail in this image. BG puts it over the top for me.

Ramon M. Casares
07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I ENVY YOU SO MUCH! I am the Lapwings ultimate fan! Love this species and hope to be able to photograph it some day. Lovely pose, scene, light, exposure, colors, BG and comp, it looks oversharpned IMO, specially the bird's edges where there a noticeable halo.
Congratulations Akos!!! Loved it.

Ilija Dukovski
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
This is what your common birds look like.:)

Very nice Akos, I like it.
Congrats!

Jay Gould
07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I ENVY YOU SO MUCH! I am the Lapwings ultimate fan! Love this species and hope to be able to photograph it some day. Lovely pose, scene, light, exposure, colors, BG and comp, it looks oversharpned IMO, specially the bird's edges where there a noticeable halo.
Congratulations Akos!!! Loved it.

Akos, great image of our common - sometimes - pest!

Ramon, when you finally come to Australia, we will take you to shoot Lapwings to your hearts content; won't we Akos? :D

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks kind friends. :) i appreciate all the feedback, I will repost with more room for virtual feet and also a little more above.

Doug, I think what you see is my sloppy NR QM selection :blush:

Jay, heck yeah, if Mr Ramon is here, I (in Sydney) would be more than happy to be his tour guide. He'll be sick of Masked Lapwings. You can take him in the Banana Bender state. :D

I'll post a chick tomorrow. So cute!

Fabs Forns
07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Very beautiful capture, Akos. Think I have never even seen one for real!!!
Lovely light and BG.

Ramon M. Casares
07-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Thank you Jay and Akos, I am in the process of moving to NZ, so if that finally happens, I might be able to visit you guys!!!! :)

Stu Bowie
07-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Brillint IQ in this, love the light, showing pin sharp detail. Super low angle, and what a killer BG. Well captured mate.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you Jay and Akos, I am in the process of moving to NZ, so if that finally happens, I might be able to visit you guys!!!! :)

So you got a job? You never told me man! I asked! Slacko! :eek:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Thank you Fabs and Stu. :) Much appreciated your time. :)

Kiran Poonacha
07-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Beautiful Image Brother, loved the angle and details here, the compo works well too and loved the birdi..

Ramon M. Casares
07-14-2009, 12:29 AM
So you got a job? You never told me man! I asked! Slacko! :eek:

Not yet, I am on it... if you have any info I am interested in moving to Australia too, you have my email :):o.

Stephen Earle
07-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Wow Akos, this is gorgeous. Love the angle and I don't think -1 hurt you here.

Dave Barnes
07-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Nice capture Akos. I like the detail and colours as well as the angle of capture.
Did you do any cloning around the tip of the bill?

It bird looks very similar to the crowned lapwing that we get here.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice capture Akos. I like the detail and colours as well as the angle of capture.
Did you do any cloning around the tip of the bill?

It bird looks very similar to the crowned lapwing that we get here.

No cloning. I initially thought that the QM was sloppy. But I attach a 100% crop from RAW, and it is a water droplet. The bird was bathing moments earlier.

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Very nice Ákos. Lovely bird.
I like the settings and composition. I find it a bit over-sharpened that could be avoided easily.

Szimi