PDA

View Full Version : Small Tortoiseshell

Thomas Herou
07-13-2009, 02:31 PM
K20D, Sigma 180/3,5
f/8, 1/500s, ISO400

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Thomas, this is another beauty! That splash of orange in the corner against the beautiful green is fantastic. Everything is nicely in focus at f8 - even the corners of the image look good.

How did you post-process the image? Any pp adjustments or is this basiclly SOOC?

Jay Gould
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Thomas, you have shared a beautiful field of green and topped if off beautifully with a orange highlight. It is all positive!!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Liked the colour contrast with orange & green in the image.
Personally, I might've liked the butterfly further into the frame (just a little bit) OR crop a bit from the left & top from the posted image.

Thomas Herou
07-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks!
Almost no pp is done.A little unsharp mask (250-0,2-0),and the lightness a tad curved down.Otherwise it's straight from the camera.
And,Kaushik,thanks for the comp input.I,on the other hand,thought about to have the butterfly
further into the corner,hehe.I like extreme compositions.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Very nice, Thomas. I like the comp with the butterfly in the corner (and I could also see it even further in the corner - I like extreme comps too :) ) and the diagonal veins of the leaf leading my eye through the frame. Nice sharpness and exposure. To my eye, the butterfly looks a little oversaturated (based on the tortoiseshells we have over here - but maybe yours are more brightly colored?). It is a very nice specimen in any case.

Thomas Herou
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks,Steve.
This is the second generation butterfly and they are very bright in the colours.
In the spring,when the first generation wakes from the winterslumber,the colours are
much paler.But there is also variations,of course,with the colours in between.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks,Steve.
This is the second generation butterfly and they are very bright in the colours.
In the spring,when the first generation wakes from the winterslumber,the colours are
much paler.But there is also variations,of course,with the colours in between.

Thanks for the followup, Thomas. :)

Bruce Enns
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I like this one a lot Thomas!! Great comp, beautiful lighting...I love the shadow in front of the butterfly, it adds a lot of depth, and the colours and details are truly great! Well shot!

Cheers!
Bruce

Thomas Herou
07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks,Bruce.
This is one of my favourite buttefly.