PDA

View Full Version : alpine columbine

Valerio Tarone
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
difficult control the focus because of the wind.
ISO200 srgb 2,8 1/250 manual foc. 70mm + prolung tubes, aperture pr. spot flash Nikon800 -1>EV

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Valerio, I think you have two main problems with this image: it's basically all OOF and the hot white areas behind the flower are really overpowering and distracting.

When it comes to macros, even the soft, OOF images almost always need to have at least one area of focus - it gives the viewer's eye a place to "land" within the frame. If everything is OOF our eyes tend to wander through the image and never get that feeling of placement. In this image, if you had either the center area or perhaps even one of the edges of the petals in focus it would have made a big difference in the overall feel.

Can you tell me a little bit about why the BG is so "hot" looking? Was there a reason you felt the need to use flash in this instance?

You also mentioned that it was hard to get the image in focus with all the wind. My answer is when the wind blows too hard, instead of trying to make a macro or flora image, go for an in-camera blur! Working with nature instead of against it will really help the end result!

Valerio Tarone
07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Thank you Julie the flash because I had hoped to increase the DOF. I don't have any eperience in doing 'blurring 'in macro not close up. I 'll try it. The Bg is so warm looking probably for the sunlight. Yesterday, I've done 7 shots on this subject, some of them I have eliminated, some are still, with more distance everithing becomes easier, but, but I suppose they must be cropped..the flower is small, so you have the BG, with a different tone.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Valerio. I think Julie pretty well covered the critique. I agree that at least some part of the image needs to be in focus. If the ends of the pistils or stamens, for example, had been sharp the image would be much stronger.

Valerio Tarone
07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Steve Yes, this one has been made in a different way:manual focus aperture pr. spot f4,8 1/250 -1 OEV
The BG is the sky quite the same tonality. I did'nt crop it as I'm uncertain to do it or not. what do you think?

Julie Kenward
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Valerio, that second image is MUCH improved over the first. Don't rely on flash to increase your DOF - that is not what its there for. It's there to freeze action (in some cases) and to light up the surrounding area.

Also, you mentioned that it was quite windy...if you were really determined to make the image, try increasing the ISO to 400 and double up on the speed - that might have frozen the first image enough to create a solid focal point.

Steve Maxson
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree with Jules that the second image is very much improved. I'm undecided about the crop - you might consider cropping from the top and left just enough to remove the very bright portions of the petals as these really draw my eye. Also, there are some sensor dust spots scattered around the image that could easily be removed. :)