PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of an Osprey Family

Norm Dulak
07-13-2009, 06:20 AM
I captured the image of this handsome osprey family recently by the waterfront in Chestertown, MD recently, using a Sigmonster lens on a Nikon D300. The two chicks are flanked by the female on the left, and the male on the right.

I was very lucky to have all of them lined up together in one plane, so they are all in focus. Note also the following. The female sports a typical osprey "necklace," while the male does not. Also, the eyes of the chicks are reddish-orange, while those of the adults are amber. The chick on the right has a feather at the tip of its beak. And finally, all of the birds' eyes are rather hypnotic, and I would not want to be a fish being observed by any of them!

What do you think of this family?

Norm Dulak

Alfred Forns
07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
They do have intense looks Norm !!! Perfect place to post he image but could also have placed it ETL !!!

Great having all withing the dof and all good head angles, might give more room to the right for the bird to look into. Might also want to select the eyes and tweak just a bit by lightening Good view of the nest and agree ... wouldn't be good being an observed fish !!! :)

Gus Cobos
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi Norm,
Thiss a sweet capture, an all in the family portrait...thanks for sharing...:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Great family photo Norm. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jackie Schuknecht
07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Great shot Norm, imagine getting them all lined up like that. Must have taken a while. They do have piercing eyes. Didn't know about the necklace. Thanks for all the info.