PDA

View Full Version : Australia: O'Reilly's Family Farm

Jay Gould
07-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi, a while back I posted an image of a colorful Rosella playing peek-a-boo. This is another image from that area on the East Coast of Australia at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat. If you ever visit the Brisbane, Queensland area, O'Reilly's is a must. My recently posted Picnic Rock Waterfall is on a track in the same area. This image is from a morning of playing "landscape workshop". The image has been slightly sharpened and cropped; the colors are reasonably representative of the way it was at the time.

Camera: 40D
Capture date/time: 20 Mar 09; 8:56am
Light condition: Scattered clouds
Lens: EF 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 35
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: f/16
Exp Comp: -1
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Lance Warley
07-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I really like the beautiful, interesting colors, Jay, and the slope of the land works well.

One gentle suggestion: I think it would have been even better if you had the fence posts in sharp focus, especially the one in the fg.

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey Jay,
Agree with Lance on the LH post. Looking at this I fell it would make a stronger vert with the LH post and tree cropped out entirely.....with the barbed wire leading you in. Let's see what others chime in.

Jay Gould
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Lance, since shooting this I have learned and I am extensively using Live View - what a great way to insure something is tack sharp by zooming in 10x and manually focusing. That is what I should have done with this image and made sure that the FG post was tack sharp. Thanks for the comment.

Roman, is this what you had in mind? Do you think it worked better as a horizontal?

When I think of how much I am spending on photography education between workshops and books, BPN is an amazing value.

Thanks Guys.

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey Jay, I'm on a brand new desktop....so no PS installed yet....I'd go a little more on the left....about 2/3 of the way towards the barb on the top wire. Ideally, I would wish for a bit more sky in that version.....but I like the way the fece leads you into the image.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Would have been neat Jay to get the first post sharp too, but I get the feeling you were really close and maybe out of the minimum focal range. Very dynamic with the fence line leading you in. Has a good sense of depth.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Good, old Aussie countryside! Good suggestions made.