PDA

View Full Version : Just The Lizard's Head

Jay Gould
07-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi, this too was shot during my reptile outing last week. While the body get an "interesting" vote, the head gets a "amazing" vote - so, here is the head!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 5 Jul 09; 9:41am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 300 f/2.8
Focal length: 300
Extender: none
Tube: 2 x 25mm
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 800
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/30 sec
Aperture: f/6.3
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
looks like a Boyd's Forest Dragon. Very cool! i wish for a little more DOF to get the snout razor sharp and also a bit of NR, that BG is a tad noisy. But, great things can be made of this Jay! :)

David Fletcher
07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Agree with comments already made. Have seen some fabulous results from stacking if the subject would have allowed it, but don't ask me on that one, as yet to try. :). The details in the head are quite incredible Jay and thanks for sharing.

Jay Gould
07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi and thanks for the comments. This is the original unedited with no PP. The lizard was put onto the tree in a kinda dark location. It would have been a good opportunity to also play with some fill flash with my LumiQuest (Thanks Chas ;)). While I know I probably could have pushed the ISO higher to close the aperture, since I was shooting into a dark area I realized I was inviting a lot more noise to join me and I am not yet prepared to deal with the noise in the BG selectively. You can see that the image has been significantly cropped and rotated; hence the almost black BG. While I am not a saver of lots of images - I only save what I might print in the future - this is one I am saving to play with once I have a full use of all of the PP tools. :)

Sabyasachi Patra
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Jay,
I love the details in this image. I agree with David and Peter about a bit more dof. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ed Cordes
07-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Very interesting head Jay. I also vote or more DOF and a bit of NR. The eye is fantastic and would pop more with these adjustments.