PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Liason

WIlliam Maroldo
07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Sony A-700~Sony70-400G~Sony 1.4x tele~560mm~ISO 200~1/60sec~F8~tripod~Brazos Bend State Park, Texas~7-12-09
Female(larger) and male Golden Orb Spiders.
The male will most likely be eaten by the female after mating.
comments and critique welcomed ~Bill

BillTyler
07-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Gorgeous subject, great action, beautifully captured.

Bill

Julie Kenward
07-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Yes, great details and wonderful exposure. I see you mentioned you did this in a state park so tell me a little bit about how you got the nice white BG. Did you use a white card behind them or change out the BG in pp? I'm sure we'd all love to know.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Julie: Actually, the webs were in the shade, the background a bright sunny day. Exposed manually, and now that I look at the RAW, it was overexposed. Consequently; blew out the light sky, and the nasty spider web as well. Thats all. regards~Bill

Alfred Forns
07-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info William !!! I was unsure as to the bg since it has more of a creamy white much more pleasing than the regular high key !!

Great action and hope you got the after mating ritual !!!!!

Thomas Herou
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Very nice composition and great looking spiders.

Connie Mier
07-13-2009, 09:08 AM
William, from one Sony user to another, I love this and getting both male and female in one shot is a bonus. I understand your high key bg as these spiders typically weave a web high above head level (at least in the mangroves tunnels I paddle through!). I like the effect of it. Almost lab-like. It seems a tad soft to me, but I suspect that is the teleconverter effect, in which case you over came it very well with nice details showing.
Connie

Dave Leroy
07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Interesting story about the mating ritual. I like how you were able to gte both spiders and isolate them. Well done.
Dave

WIlliam Maroldo
07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Appreciate the nice comments! Connie: I hadn't noticed the image being soft. Could be though. The converter does not degrade images, as far as I can tell. One thing that might is AF is strictly manual with it. My eyes aren't what they used to be. In any case I did not subject the image to any sharpening in post-processing, other than the usual resampling with Image Size and "bicubic sharper". regards~Bill