PDA

View Full Version : Female Seaside Dragonlet

Don Lacy
07-12-2009, 07:37 PM
The Seaside Dragonlet is a new species for me and I had to work hard to get a decent image which was quite frustrating considering they were all over the place. I am 90% happy with this one the perch is good the BG is nice but the light is a little harsh for my taste and would preferred it at a better angle.
These guys are found near salt marshes and mangrove swamps, thet are also only Dragonfly in the Western Hemisphere that can breed in salt water.

40D, 300 f/4 + 25 MM Ext Tubes, 1/80 at f/11, Manual Mode, evaluative Metered, Flash at -1 2/3 + Diffuser, RAW, ISO 400, Tripod, Slight crop and Cloned out some Specular highlights on the abdomen.

Stephen Stephen
07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Beautiful capture Don. I love the markings and colours on this dragonfly.

Julie Kenward
07-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Very nicely done, Don. I love all the additional information you give us with your insect photos!

It's a lovely comp - got the diagonal perch and a good head view...nothing extraneous in the image to detract from your subject. I can see that the back end isn't quite as sharp as the head but I really had to look to notice it.

Two things I might suggest would be removing the spot/dust bunny from just behind his back leg, beneath the abdomen and maybe trying to blend the lighter green with the darker green in the BG a bit. Ooverall, I think you got a very nice image here.

Alfred Forns
07-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Good looking bug and like the up wing position Also like the use of a diffuser for the flash does cut down on reflections and gives a pleasant even light !!!

Goo perch and sharp from one end to the other !!! Excellent !!!!

Dave Leroy
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Very nice looking photo. I like the natural composition for the dragon let. Perhaps a few other dust spots in ulc area. Well done. Dave

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Another colorful subject, Don. Nice pose, sharpness, and background. The light looks OK to me - doesn't seem overly harsh. I might try cloning the lower white-ringed catchlight (I assume this one is flash-generated??). You might consider cropping a little off the left. Well done.
Also, it's nice to again have the biology lesson along with the photo. :)