PDA

View Full Version : Fly

Dave Leroy
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I believe this is a fly and perhaps a type of Robber Fly. I was not able to get any good looks online which would help me id the friendly looking little thing. Photo was taken on my rain trough down pipe, cropped vertical from a horizontal, turned horizontal and flipped horizontally. The little bug was facing up on my down spout. 50D, 100/2.8 macro at f/13, 1/60, EC+1, ISO800. Dave

Stephen Stephen
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Dave I like this one. It's an unusual setting and almost feels like it was taken in a biology lab or similar situation.

Alfred Forns
07-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Great perspective Dave I like the head twist and detail Wouldn't mind runt into one of them !!!

Julie Kenward
07-13-2009, 07:15 AM
It certainly has the eyes of a robber fly...they look like the old aviator glasses we all wore in the 70's (okay, those of us who were around in the 70's!)

Beautiful detail, Dave...and wonderful exposure. I'm sure that downspout acted as a reflector and really brought the light into all crevices of that fly which is why it looks so perfectly lit and so well detailed. I'm going to have to start hanging around my downspouts!

Thomas Herou
07-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Nice,low angle and very nice pose.
I think this fly belongs to the Hover-Fly family.

Dave Leroy
07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. Yes, the setting appears quite sterile and must have done a good job of reflecting the light. I had not thought of that. Perhaps Thomas is correct. I did see a Hover Fly photo looking some what similiar. So many flies and so little time... Dave

Don Lacy
07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Dave, I really like the setting here it looks like something you would see on fashion shoot and the detail on the Fly is amazing.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Very nicely done, Dave. I like the sharpness, head-on view, and the low shooting angle. The overall fuzziness of the fly suggests it might be one of the Bee Flies. There are many species, but they tend to have a hovering flight style. Also, the eyes on robber flies are separated at the top of the head whereas these are touching each other. :)

Thomas Herou
07-14-2009, 01:57 PM
You're correct,Steve.
And the Bee Flies are Hover Flies.