It was time to drop his gun
And let this one go free

His soul was finally cleansed
He was rid of all his pain
When he reflects on life
His thoughts of that day remain

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Great image to go with your poem D. :) At first I was not sure what to think and did not think you of all people would be writing about hunting. :eek: But as the heart of the hunter changed in your words so did my confidence return in yours. :) Nicely written indeed. Wish more hunters were like this guy. Shoot with a camera I say!

denise ippolito
07-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Thankyou Akos, I appreciate your support.

Jay Gould
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Denise, nothing short of outstanding - image and the poem! First thing I did after reading it to myself was to read it to Jackie and THEN show her the image. Wonderful!

denise ippolito
07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Jay, Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Lance Warley
07-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Congrats on taking a new, different subject and making it work, Denise. This shows a lot of discipline in its structure, along with your creativity. Good job.

Julie Kenward
07-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Oh how I wish that deer photo were mine!!! It's just gorgeous, Denise! The poem was perfect as a companion and I agree with Akos - would be nice if more hunters felt this way but I certainly understand why they do what they do if it helps keep the balance of life in its place.

Again, wonderful combination.

Kerry Perkins
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Very nice Denise and I echo your sentiments. I have a good friend who actually had this experience. He said that when he saw that beautiful animal in the scope of the rifle, he just couldn't do it. The other hunters thought he was nuts, but he said he put the rifle down and walked away and never went hunting again!

denise ippolito
07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Thankyou all for your comments!!:)
Kerry, I'm glad to hear that. I often wondered about that moment for some.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I won't even go fishing anymore. Used to be one of my favorite pastimes as a teenager and in my early twenties. But now, for the last eight years, I cannot bring myself to cut the throat of a fish. I am a big softie. :D

Eric Virkler
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Great work Denise. Well written. I have many friends who are hunters and I've talked to several who had deer in their sites and decided to let them go.

Eric

Craig Markham
07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Well done, Denise. The soft texture of the velvet on the antlers comes through beautifully. Good alert look. I'm glad you do your hunting with a camera, as do I. The stalking and observational skills and challenges required for wildlife hunting and photography are similar, but more exacting for the photographer (and dare I say that it takes a lot more thought)? And after you've captured your images, the creature will likely be there for you or someone else to enjoy another day. If perchance you accidentally "shoot" your foot -- you'll have a nice blurred image of your foot, and won't need a trip to the hospital.

Nicely crafted and thoughtful lines. Thank you!

--Craig

denise ippolito
07-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Thankyou guys for looking in and adding your thoughts-it is very much appreciated.