PDA

View Full Version : Double-yellow Begonia

Kerry Perkins
07-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Hi Julie. Never posted in this forum before so thought I would see what you guys think of this image. It was shot in a botanical garden in Bandon, Oregon several years ago with a Canon p&s - the S2 IS. I cropped it and did some color correction in CS4. Hope you like... :)

Dave Leroy
07-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Kerry, It is very lush looking as well as nice and sharp. Perhaps a vertical crop would work as well and remove some from the right. It appears on my monitor as a bit dark and flat, and perhaps some additional sat and contrast would help.
This is definitley the forum for flowers and macro and lots of good critques. Looking forward to your next one. Dave

Fabs Forns
07-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Agree with Dave's evaluation, and I tried it. Cropped, did an S curve adjustment and used the Burn Tool on the edges. Hope you like it.

Julie Kenward
07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I like Fab's repost, Kerry. The original had me stumped...it had a gray cast in the yellows of the flowers and I couldn't figure out how to correct it. I opened it in levels and used the black eye dropper and clicked on the pot - that helped! It still has a bit of a film over it, though...did you shoot this through glass by any chance?

You certainly got great DOF and detail in the begonias and throughout the image.

Alfred Forns
07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Big Welcome Kerry ... this place is additive :)

Great crop by Fabs Tightens and concentrates on the flowers !!!

Kerry Perkins
07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Ooh, pretty repost Fabs! Thank you. I couldn't quite get the levels to look right but you certainly did.

Julie, not shot through glass but the air was full of mist from the greenhouse watering system! Was a very wet, gray day in Oregon (how unusual!) and there wasn't much light there either.