PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Ctenucha

Stephen Stephen
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I created this image of a female Virginia Ctenucha (Ctenucha virginica) a couple of days ago out in a field just behind out back yard. I don't recall seeing this species before but I was quite taken with the colours on this moth.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT, Sigma 105mm (at 105mm) f2.8 Macro Handheld
1/80 seconds, FNumber - 18, Manual control, ISO 400, Flash - Flash fired, Compulsory flash mode

I would have preferred to have used a tripod but the moth kept flitting about from grass blade to grass blade. I only noticed the egg laying process when I uploaded the images to my computer.

Cropped to about 70% of full frame and Noise reduction applied.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Really beautiful image, Stephen! I'm wondering how you managed to get such a smooth BG with an aperture of f18? Were you pretty far from other foliage? You did an outstanding job of getting the moth in perfect detail and still retaining that blurred BG.

I also love your composition. The sweeping arch at the top really draws your eye through the image but then it always comes back to that stunning blue on the moth. Very nicely done!

BillTyler
07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Beautiful colors and composition.

Bill

Don Lacy
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Stephen, Wonderful image, great colors and lighting on the Moth plus the nice sweeping line created in the comp with the blade of grass she is resting on and if that wasn't enough you have her in the act of laying eggs.

Steve Maxson
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
A beautiful capture of this colorful moth, Stephen. Very nice sharpness, comp, and background. The egg-laying is a big plus. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
love the detail and colours. I think the BG could do with some more NR. the pose is very nice, hanging on the leaf upside down - sort of adheres to the Golden Mean :)

Fabs Forns
07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I love the arch formed by the plant and subject and the colors. You managed the iridescence very well.
There's a slight sharpening halo in the antennae.

Alfred Forns
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Love it Amazed at the sharpness at 1/80th !!! That is holding steady !!!

Insect shows well and the bg could not be more complementing !!! Big Congrats !!!

Stephen Stephen
07-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Thank you Julie, Bill, Don, Steve, Morel, Fabs and Alfred for taking the time to comment. I was very pleased to capture this species.

Julie The grass in the area was averaging 3-4 feet high and was quite dense. If I recall correctly however in this particular portion it had been trampled down a bit by people or perhaps their dog(s) so I was able to get a fairly good OOF BG. I also find that when I've at the minimum focal distance for my 105 mm it the DOF drops off quickly even at f18.

Fabs thanks for pointing out the sharpening halo. I still struggle with NR and only a little less with sharpening.