PDA

View Full Version : The Leaf

Jay Gould
07-11-2009, 06:49 PM
While out for a walk seeking macro subjects this leaf simply "grabbed me"! Processed in LR and CS4; I intentionally choose to not clone out the spots as they are part of the leaf and it's imperfections. PS: If I as going to offer this image for sale, then I would remove the spots! (wink wink) :-)

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 5 Jul 09; 11:58am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 100
Focal length: 100
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 800
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/3 sec
Aperture: f/32
Exp Comp: +1 2/3
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Stephen Stephen
07-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Jay I really like the colours and textures here. I particularly like the micro veins in the leaves. Did you create any others where the frame was at a different angle from the main stem?

Julie Kenward
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Very nice, Jay! I have a few questions!

Do you know what kind of leaf this is?
Was it this bright of a green in person or did you enhance it at all in pp? I'm asking because it's LOVELY!
I like that you put the spine at the ROT's position and went horizontal instead of vertical because it's different and it certainly works. I also would love to know if you tried any other comps - diagonal or vertical - this leaf is really amazing!

Jay Gould
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Jules, thanks so much for your comments. That is the color of the original; probably why it grabbed while I was out walking looking for f/32 subjects. I only sharpened and slightly played with contrast; the original was of the center - no leaf edges.

I did not try it in other comps - until now, that is! :D

What do you think? I also tried it with the main vein in the LRHT and it didn't work for me; I think I prefer the vertical.

PS: I like what you posted regarding critiques!

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Very nice leaf Jay!
Love the colors and texture.

Thomas Herou
07-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Wow,the colours hits you right in the face!
Fantastic,and the comp is really good.

Keith Carver
07-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Love the lime green color and the sharp micro-detail, Jay. Great comp, and I slightly prefer the original post to the repost. Wow! What is the plant?

Don Lacy
07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Jay, Nice graphic image I like how the veins flow through the frame and the luminance of green. One question why f/32 did you determine that was the only aperture that gave you enough DOF or did you use it as a default aperture.

Steve Maxson
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Very striking colors and textures, Jay. I also like the comp, sharpness and the diagonal lines. I think I prefer the original comp to that in the repost, though both work well, IMO. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
great use of colour and texture to create an abstract Jay. I like the original post most.

Jay Gould
07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Jay, Nice graphic image I like how the veins flow through the frame and the luminance of green. One question why f/32 did you determine that was the only aperture that gave you enough DOF or did you use it as a default aperture.

Hi Don, the Mike Moats assignment was "full DOF" using the smallest available aperture available. :D

Fabs Forns
07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I like the patterns and composition in the first one, very well done in exposure too. You get a 10 from me :)

Jay Gould
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I like the patterns and composition in the first one, very well done in exposure too. You get a 10 from me :)

Fabs, thank you and everyone for your thoughtful comments.

:D:D

Don Lacy
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Don, the Mike Moats assignment was "full DOF" using the smallest available aperture available.
Jay, Mike is an excellent photographer and I am sure also a teacher and I have read his opinions on maximum DOF and agree with him on most parts, good luck with the course.

Alfred Forns
07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
You got a winner and I'm sure you will be removing the spots in the near future Jay !!!!!!

High impact, simple and so effective ... btw lots of people walk right by this image with camera in hand .. and no picture !!! Big Congrats !!!

Jay Gould
07-12-2009, 04:51 PM
You got a winner and I'm sure you will be removing the spots in the near future Jay !!!!!!

High impact, simple and so effective ... btw lots of people walk right by this image with camera in hand .. and no picture !!! Big Congrats !!!

Very kind of you, Sir. To remove those spots would require cloning at the pixel level - that is the type of work the Master - David T - painstakingly does. I should only be so PS talented someday in the distant future.

PS: David, my statement is neither a challenge nor a request. :D

Anita Bower
07-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Gorgeous colors, detail and light. It shimmers! I love the beautiful lines.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Jay
You are coming along very nicely mate. This really ROCKS! :)