PDA

View Full Version : Looking Over The Shoulder - Re Post

Ed Cordes
07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
This is the same image I posted the other day. the critiques were that the yellows and whites were blown. After taking Artie's advice and re reading some of the tutorials I reprocessed the image. I also reduced the sharpening.

The original is here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40661

What do you think?

Fernando Cerra
07-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Much better in my opinion, the colors are great, I like pose, background and subject position.

Fernando Cerra

David Thomasson
07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
The yellows in this version look a little richer than the other, but it actually has little to do with clipping. In both images the red channel is slightly
clipped in a few pixels (see below). This disappears if the exposure is dropped by a mere -0.05 in ACR, so it isn't serious. The thing to notice is that you
were able to improve the yellows without removing all the clipping. Moral of the story: Don't worry when the clipping warning (in ACR or curves or levels)
indicates a little clipping; that can be handy information in some cases, but trust your eyes. In this case, the washed out yellows weren't caused by clipping.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8183/yellowclips.jpg

Aidan Briggs
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
This version is way better IMO. Especially on the sharpening. The yellows look better too. Even if there is a little bit of clipping, my eyes don't notice it.

David Fletcher
07-12-2009, 05:42 AM
This is so much better Ed. (Thank you David for that info too! Good stuff).

Mike Lentz
07-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Better! I always like seeing Davids PS help/re-work.

Ed Cordes
07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks as always David for your input. This is interesting.

I wonder why there were no red clipping warnings in the develop module in LR? Isn't it the same as in ACR?

Ramon M. Casares
07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
~Looks very well! Lovely light, pose, BG, detail, colors, and comp, perch is nice but I would suggest to remove the white dot from the tip of it.
Congratulations!