07-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm
39mm

1/80"
F8
ISO 200
EC -0.33

This image was taken 30 minutes later than the image I posted Thursday. This one is taken from the east side of the small outcrop, and the First Light image includes the same outcrop but from the west side of it.

I increased the yellow lighting on the tree trunks, and deliberately did not sharpen those tree branches. I even considered blurring them a bit, but didn't know which filter would do the job I had in mind. I shoot in both RAW and small jpeg, and I really liked how the small jpeg blurred these leaves. (I never thought I would say _that_!!) But I liked the more impressionistic feel to them.

nearly full frame, cropped a bit off the top and bottom to move the river level out of the center and removed extra sky.

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
beautiful light, cheryl. i might would have stopped down even more to f/16+ to get more dof? the shadows on the left lack detail. i think that takes away from the image a little. this may have been a situation where a graduated neutral density filter would have worked diagonally toning down the right while exposing those shadows a bit. not sure about the birds on the water either. not really defined. the reflections on the water are strong and the light on them looks great!

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
thank you, Harold. I've never shot landscapes before, and have no idea of what I am doing. lol I appreciate your comments. I was wondering the same things about the Canada Geese. They are certainly vague.

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
no problem, cheryl. al and roman are the experts here. all i can do is tell you what i see!!! and hope it helps.

Lance Peters
07-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Cheryl - I would agree with Harold - some more DOF and the lack of details on the left and the lack of detail as far as the birds are concerned.
Sweet light

Alfred Forns
07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Cheryl

One more point to consider is the location of the horizon, generally we don't want it in the center. Here there is too much going on in the center, maybe is the ducks were further down would have balanced the image better.

Not sure how much you could have pointed the camera right but those tree reflections are good and it is a good example of placing the horizon in the middle !!!

Cheryl Flory
07-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I'll post another shot, edited differently.
Thanks, everyone!