PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokey Mountains NP

JB Ellis
07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Had to get away from the heat this week and went to Smokeys. Shot this image in Cosby Creek. Canon 40, Sigma 17-70 at 70mm, ISO 100, 4 seconds, f11.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 10:06 AM
JB,

I liek the flow through the image. and the FG pool that the falls empties into forms a good base. I might have liked to see more left and right (as it relates to the two rocks in the LL and LR that are clipped) - but depends upon what other things might have creeped in on the sides.

Moving left if possible whould have gottne the hanging limb out of the image in the LL.

I felt we could get more detail in the shadows and perhaps reduce highlights. Using Shadows/Highlights set as follows in repost.

Shadows, 88/25/30 - Highlights, 65/58/30 - Midtone Contrast +15%.

I was looking to even out the light and not have the bright left side and dark right side. Again a matter of taste.

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 11:37 AM
beatiful scene and i like the effects of the shutter speed.

robert, would a polarizar filter taken care of those highlights?

Roman Kurywczak
07-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey JB,
Robert covered my suggestions nicely and the re-post has the nice Velvia look to it (Nice job Robert!). I like the way the stream moves on a diagonal through the frame and like he mentioned.....getting rid of those 2 branches entering the falls from the right.....would have made this even stronger. Glad you got to get away from the heat......we are having unbelievable great (no humidity, 80's) weather here.

Roman Kurywczak
07-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Harold,
Probably not. Mabe sone selective levels or highlight adjustment (which can make it look muddy)......but a product of the pooling of the slow SS.

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
thanks, RK. i figured not.

JB Ellis
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I thought the branch poking in from the lower right was interesting. Obviously that was wrong. I'll try the curves adjustments you suggested to the original and maybe I can clone out the offending branch. I have other shots, but this one had the best dynamics.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
JB,

The branch is not distracting. What I did not like about it was that it blocked the bottom of the falls before emptying into the pool.

JB Ellis
07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Robert, not a very busy Saturday, so here is a re-post. I even widen the image to see if that made it more dramatic. I'm using PS Elements so the Shadows and Highlight adjustments has to be guessed at.

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
hi JB, i liked the image and just wanted to play around a little. hope you dont mind. trying to learn Ps and thought i'd have a go at it.

i played with the shadows and highlights too much. now i can see where i screwed up.

JB Ellis
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
You are welcome to play with the image or critique in any way. Just don't change change the heads or put horns on it or something. If you tell me the picture is awful, I'll just think there is something wrong with you.:)

Harold Davis
07-11-2009, 04:02 PM
and if you dont like fish and grits, i'll think something is wrong with you!!:D

thanks for letting me play.

Robert Amoruso
07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
JB,

I would leave the branch there. I can see the cloning and repeating patterns.

I have not looked at the later versions of elements - has curves been added. If so you can use curves adjustments to do the same I did in S/H. Levels may be of some using here if you can set Blend If options with it. Sorry but not being an elements user, I can't give you specific directions.

JB Ellis
07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Robert, Elements has a simplified version of curves. I would like to get full PS, but it would probably be a waste on me as Elements is still pushing my computer skills. I also like the branch in there, mainly because that's the way it was, though I would work on a composition that moved it away from the pool given another opportunity. Thanks for your help.

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Elements 7 doens't have curves yet. At least not as customized as CS3 - you have to work with 4 sliders which manipulate the curves for you.

Robert's first repost has the most impact for me - still a great shot! love the line the eyes can follow from the pool up the cascades into the forest.

Fabs Forns
07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Very nice scene, made better by the repost. I like the intense green and silky water.