PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Aussie

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-11-2009, 04:40 AM
One of the most hideous local spiders. The Huntsman. During the day, they hide in cracks, under bark etc. At night they hunt on the foot. No web. While they are rather large - legs from tip to tip can exceed 4 inches - they are harmless, though WILL bite if picked up. I usually use a plastic container to catch them inside my house, when they come in occasionally, then back into the garden. Brrrrrrr.

30D, 100mm macro, HH, onboard flash. 60% of original.

Don Lacy
07-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Akos, A menacing looking spider you have there, Not sure what aperture you shot at but I would like a bit more DOF if it was possible also I would crop some off the bottom I think that would make those killer looking fangs more prominent in the composition.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I like the close view of the head with the 8 eyes and the very prominent fangs, Akos. I would agree with Don and suggest a crop from the bottom - enough to remove the leaf in the LRC - as that would really focus our attention on the spider. I would also wish for less harsh lighting from the flash because the very dark shadows under the spider take away some of the impact of those fangs, IMO. :)

Mark Fuge
07-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice self portrait! ;) :eek: :D

Thomas Herou
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Fantastic jaws!
Very good comp and light.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Akos, what are the rest of your exif data for this one? We really need to know more than what lens and and camera you used in order to give you a true critique.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Akos, what are the rest of your exif data for this one? We really need to know more than what lens and and camera you used in order to give you a true critique.

Sorry, no harm meant. I usually post it and didn't have the RAW handy. ISO200, f/11, 1/60th. Spot meter, camera flash only.

I took this years ago and today I would do it very differently. More DOF would be number one to achieve. :)