PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating

Jorge Rodrigues
07-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Hi,

Took this shot in Amboselli NP, Kenya. What I like about this shot is the meditating pose of the elephant. This is part of the "This is Africa" BW project I am working on.

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II, EF 100-400, f/9 1/160, ISO 640

beykirch
07-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Hi Jorge,

a very good one. Your post is much smaller than possible in this forum, bigger will be easier to see and to comment :-)

My suggestion is make the whole image lighter, the sky looks mid gray on my screen.

Regards

Bernd

David Fletcher
07-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I Like this. Feel it does need more space and would certainly benefit from lightening and showing as a larger size, but it does have huge appeal and dare I say it?, marketability.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Even though he is look away I think having a good amount of room in front of him as you do and the trunk over the tusk helps this image work. More room in the back and bottom would help to balance the image as it is heavy on the right now.

As part of a photo project, this will work well in it. B&W processing resulted in a dull look. In the repost I did two things, Using PSCS3 and Shadows/Highlights opened up shadows 100% amount and 25% tonal width. I then did a curves adjustment but anchored the shadows up to the 1/2 tones (middle of curve) so it remains straight and then pulled up and over at the 3/4 tone point (this is 3/4 the way up on the curve). This opens up highlights only.

Kiran Khanzode
07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I have to say, I have never seen such an image before. Lovely..put a smile on my face. Very unique !!!

Jorge Rodrigues
07-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I must say I have darkened the image to give it a darker, grimmer mood (the sky was covered that day) and the light absolutely flat. I find your suggestions to lighten it up very valid (thanks Robert) and I will try it myself.

Regarding the comments to make the picture bigger, I need to know how to do it. When I click on manage attachments it limits the total picture size to 200Kb and the picture width to 1024.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Jorge,

Changing the size of the file is both a function of resolution, image size and compression.

I would set the size and resolution to the following. 72 ppi resolution, 1024 pixels in the long (wide) direction here. THen you need to save the image as a JPG and compress it enough that the file is save at a file size of less than 200kb.

You can find info here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5598 1/2 way through the thread by Artie.

Morkel Erasmus
07-11-2009, 05:20 PM
lovely image Jorge! the trunk over the tusk makes the pose for me. I would also like to see it bigger, and I like Robert's repost with lighter tones a bit more. would love to see your project!

Kartikeya Puri
07-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Very unique pose for a jumbo. The repost does add more value to the image.

Cheers,
Kartik

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Unusual image Jorge. I really like it. A bit tight in the LRC for me too. Thanks for sharing. :)

Kiran Poonacha
07-16-2009, 04:53 AM
superb one Jorge, the feel is great, the repost looks good, but just would tone down the bright parts of the foreground. but loved this...

Gregor Bergquist
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Awsome! Never seen a elephant picture like this. Love to see it. I like what Robert did to the elephant, but I like your background better (or could do with even less exposure, more contrast.)