PDA

View Full Version : Another time. Another place. Another Susan.

Ed Vatza
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I found another Susan to model for me this evening. I decided to try some different perspectives which ultimately led to some different crops.

Canon 30D with remote shutter release; Sigma 150mm macro lens;Canon 430 Ex Flash w/ Lumiquest Softbox mounted on a flexible flash bracket; all tripod-mounted with a Novoflex macro focusing rail. Susan steadied with a McClamp.

1/15 sec @ f/20; ISO 800; 0 EV; FEC -1

Dave Leroy
07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
The pano crop is interesting. Nice choice of f#. Not sure about the yellows, might be a bit hot in places, but colour combination is very nice. Well done. Dave

Anita Bower
07-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Very nice. I like the angle of the flower showcasing the graceful curve of the petals. The angle of view nicely shows the center details. Although I like the detail of the green sepal with its white hairs, I find it distracting in this image. Nice lighting and BG. I especially like the angle of view.

Richard Lovison
07-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Ed,

I like the pano effect though the crop feels awkward to me. Maybe crop the top to just above the upper middle petal.

I love the angle of view and the detail in the center of the flower.

Don Lacy
07-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Ed, I really like this image from the side view to the nice colors especially the purple of the head, well seen and executed.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Excellent detail and that flower head is extraordinary. I don't know that I've ever seen one so purple and so well focused before.

I do feel the crop is interesting but kept thinking it was a bit awkward for some reason. I think maybe if you had been tilted so the back of the flower came up higher in the back of the image it would have felt better in the frame. As is, I feel like it's starting to slip out of sight at the bottom (front of the frame) a bit.

Ed Vatza
07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
As is, I feel like it's starting to slip out of sight at the bottom (front of the frame) a bit.

I wonder if that might be due to the sloping toward the LR corner. The original image was level. I rotated it in post-processing before cropping because I wanted the flower on an angle.

Oh, and I have all kinds of perspectives and angles on this Susan. I just wanted to work with a flat (eye level pretty much with the edge) perspective.

As always, I appreciate all the feedback Dave, Anita, Don, Richard, Jules. ;)