PDA

View Full Version : Sunset

Nonda Surratt
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
This was the first time I've ever had and opportunity to make an image like this, Canada's were winging in from all directions, we actually had a lovely sunset and no wires! Waiting from the CG's to actually fly though the sunset and not be merged (thanks Fabs) was another issue, I will use a tripod next time:D
MKIII,300f2.8L+2xtc@f7.1,ISO100,1/2500, manual

Harold Davis
02-05-2008, 07:30 PM
that's a beautiful image nonda!! love everything about it. i dont think it can be better!!

Arthur Morris
02-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Nonda, First off, thanks for your supportive post here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4081

Second, this image is strong enough for Avian, Free and Wild Forum.

Third, I like the original a lot but I like the version below a bit better (if it fits with your personal ethics).

Looking forward to see what others think.

later and love, artie

ps: Six out of seven perfect wing positions is pretty darned good, 8 out of 9 in the ORIG above...

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Mr.Morris,

On the first you are quite welcome, I've been wanting to slide that in on one of my images here, I notice the big things,but it is the small bits that can take an image to the next level. And this goes with the next part of this reply

Removing the one bird, doesn't bother my ethics at all! The image felt slightly off to me, but I didn't know why, much improved, thank you, that did the trick! I noticed you moved my little watermark out of the corner and I'm sure you have a reason for that as well.

Arthur Morris
02-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Mr.Morris, Removing the one bird, doesn't bother my ethics at all! The image felt slightly off to me, but I didn't know why, much improved, thank you, that did the trick! I noticed you moved my little watermark out of the corner and I'm sure you have a reason for that as well.

Hi Again Nonda,

The bird that I removed was close enough to the bird below that it ruined the balance of the image... I actually cropped the image a bit from the right and the bottom as the birds were too far forward in the frame. I had to restore your mark and I did that with a QM. All things being equal you need to give even your mark some room in frame. In your original post it was so close to the corner as to be distracting. And you are right, it is all about the little things.

later and love, artie

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
See I didn't even notice the slight crop:(

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I have to agree the removing the one bird makes all the difference. I learned something good here.

This is an excellent image Nonda and so many things clicked in it as Artie mentioned. It is always pleasurable to have that happen.

Jim Poor
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm curious. If a bird is going to be removed, why not go one step farther and move the good wing positioned bird into the space where the bad wing position is?

I really like the image and had to look a couple times to see the difference in the repost, but it does improve things.

Arthur Morris
02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm curious. If a bird is going to be removed, why not go one step farther and move the good wing positioned bird into the space where the bad wing position is?

Hi Jim, If I had the full sized TIFF I would have done just that, but with the tiny JPEG it would have been sloppy at best to select only the bird as the sky around the bird that I removed was different from the sky around the bird with the not-so-great wing position. Could have done it but... Glad that you noticed and liked the differences. The big secret is that it's the little things that make a difference...

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Jim, If I had the full sized TIFF I would have done just that

Great minds and all ;)

Seriously though, I figured it was probably something like that (not enough data in the small image).

I'm curious how you would have done it. I personally would use the patch tool to basically drag and drop the sky and bird around where I want them.

Arthur Morris
02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Using Robert O'Toole's Quick Masking techniques would be a zillion times better and easier than using the Patch Tool and the Clone Stamp... His APTATS is amazing...

later and love, artie

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow and another light bulb, thanks Jim for bringing that up and Artie's answer. So what I should do is remove the 2nd bird with the poor wings and replace it with the good winged bird that was removed. Just started on the APTATS today so.....

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Using Robert O'Toole's Quick Masking techniques would be a zillion times better and easier than using the Patch Tool and the Clone Stamp... His APTATS is amazing...

later and love, artie

Thanks, that's next on my list.

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I really need to get APTATS, but I took a crack at it with what I know so far.

Patch tool and a little bit of blur tool. No cloning. Done on a laptop touch pad. It obviously isn't seamless.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Not bad but for the nasty dark smudge above the 3rd bird.

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, the more I messed with trying to fix it, the worse it got. I just called and ordered APTATS-1 :D

Nonda Surratt
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Looks good Jim! Shameless plug for the APTATS, started on the first PDF last night and it is written so well a total PS idiot (me) had not one bit of trouble following along.