PDA

View Full Version : Captive Black Kite In Flight

Jay Tan
01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I seldom post captive subjects but am tempted to post this here with a forum set aside specially for captive subjects. This shot of the Black Kite was made at our local bird park's raptor show. I had just gotten my 300 2.8 lens and wanted to find some easy birds for target practice.

1DM2N, 300mm, f/6.3, 1/2500, ISO400

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2116453639_e8807d5a90_o.jpg

Lana Hays
01-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Welcome
It looks like you are doing well with your new 300mm lens. The Kite looks sharp. I don't think the Kite stands out well due to the BG and the angle of the Kite. I think if it were showing more of the topside then I would have more of the bird to concentrate on.....and be less distracted.

I, too like that this forum specifically includes captive birds. Their worth and beauty is no less important because of their circumstances and they can be of equal challenge to shoot. I do hope that you, as others post more captive birds.

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Beautifil bird and you did well to get him head on in flight against a varied bg. That isn't easy to do. I like the composition, but wish there was more seperation from the bg so the bg would be more oof.

Jay Tan
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Lana and Jim for your feedback. This kind of feedback is what I've been looking for in different forums. And I really appreciate that. I personally love head-on flight shots but Lana, I do get what you mean. Will post another one of the same bird later. Jim, I probably should have tried a larger aperture to blur things out in the BG. Maybe will go back to try again! :)