PDA

View Full Version : The power of images

Kerry Perkins
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
A former co-worker who had become a good friend of mine was diagnosed with acute leukemia last Christmas eve. He spent months in the hospital enduring some very aggressive chemotherapy. During that time, I was constantly sending him images of birds and nature that I had made. He was a big fan of my work and enjoyed them, even though he couldn't communicate very well during that time.

Last night I got an email from him telling me that he had just been declared 100% free of leukemia. He said that my images and moral support were a big factor in his recovery, which made me feel that I now understand just how powerful images can be and that we can make a difference in this world with our work. I have always had a desire to have my work seen and appreciated, as do we all, but never thought that something like this would be all the confirmation I would ever need of my ability to communicate through pictures.

I submit this image as one that George really appreciated and as a reflection of how he can now enjoy the serenity of a normal life without disease. I am humbled by the power of our craft. (Previously posted in OOTB.)

denise ippolito
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Kerry, It's an outstanding image that carries a very powerful message! You are a kind, thoughtful man who shares his talents with others. I'm so glad to hear you friend is cancer free and you were able to help lift his spirits in his time of need. Thankyou for sharing this.

Lance Warley
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
TREMENDOUS!

If you do nothing else with your photos, Kerry, you've already done it all.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for sharing this story Kerry.
You are a treasure indeed and your generous, kind heart and attitude made a difference to George in the time of need. So glad to hear the outcome. :)

Fabs Forns
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Kerry, an uplifting story, what a satisfaction it is to be able to help someone with our passion!

Mark Fuge
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Great story, great image.

I also just heard that a close young friend has just been told that they have also beaten cancer. It is possible and any encrouragement given in any form is appreciated by them. You should be proud of not only your abilities, but your encouragement through your work.

Julie Kenward
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Kerry, that story is so powerful! We truly can make a difference in the lives of others simply by letting them in on the miracles we see outside in nature. Lance said it all - if you do nothing else with these images, you've done it all. God bless.

Steve Deam
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Kerry,

A beautiful piece and a beautiful story. Our son was diagnosed with with an extremely agressive form of Leukemia when he was sixteen. He went though 10 grueling months of chemotheropy and a bone marrow transplant. Going into it they gave him a 10-15% chance of surviving. Prior to the bone marrow trasnplant he was told that if he survived, he would not be able to have children. That was sixteen years ago now. He is doing great, and the father of two beautiful redheads! He and his children are walking miracles!

Seeing him go through that I know how important it is to have a lot of support. We can all only hope to have friends like you if we face something like this!

The best,

Steve Deam

Kerry Perkins
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Steve, thank you for sharing that. We can make a difference in the lives of others...

Sabyasachi Patra
05-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Kerry,
This is the highest form of appreciation that one can get. This is much more than any award. How many of us can claim to have saved a life or an wilderness area by the power of our images? Frankly speaking you have achieved the top most award possible.

And as a friend you have continued your support and stood by him in his hour of need. Blessed indeed is a person who has got a friend like you.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshad Barve
05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Take my bows for this Kerry