View Full Version : Desert View of the Painted Desert

Michael Pancier
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/3707034630_f6c318d062_o.jpg

Grand Canyon National Park

A 4 image HDR -2, -1, 0, + 1

5d Mark II
24mm Tilt Shift

Any suggestions on elimination of haze close to the horizon?

Should I crop more off the bottom?

Also, anyone know the name of the butte in the background?

Douglas Bolt
07-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Michael,

I liked the image and the feeling that it projected. I'm not sure how much I've improved the image by removing some of the haze near the horizon with PhotoKit Haze removal, but it did seem to give a bit of a "longer" view into the forever. I also added a little sharpening with regular PK sharpening and cropped a little from the top and left side. Again, not sure the crops improved the image, but for me the sky at the top of the image was so dramatic that it competed for my attention with the wonderful landscape image below.

Ramesh Adkoli
07-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi Michael,

great view. IMHO, a pano-crop with 1/3 from bottom and 1/5 from top (Doug has already shown that) would enhance the impact of this image.

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey Michael,
I have a bit of a different take on this one. I really , really like the sky! Maybe because I know that doesn't happen often in the desert southwest or I am partial to blues......the base just seemed too massive for me. I also felt it was a bit dark on the base and the sky may have also been a hair blue.....even for my preferences. Obviously I cropped a good posrtion of the base. I then adjusted the midtones a bit to lighten it up. Using shadow highlights.....I brought the FG up even a bit more and tweaked the highlights.....especially in the clouds. Had to patch a whitish spot in the LRC after the crop too. This just works better for me.......but let me know what you think and we'll see what others chime in.
Almost forgot....some selctive color blacks and contrast to the land areas.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I like what Roman did with the crop Michael.

I think PK Haze Removal is Local COntrast Enhancement using either USM or perhaps High Pass Filter. IN any event LCE will cut through haze.

Michael Pancier
07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I like Roman's fix. Gonna try it.

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Roman's repost works best for me. Great scene captured and the vastness grabs me. The sky was really something and that coupled with the view into infinity adds a lot.

Fabs Forns
07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Another vote for Roman's repost. The horizon was too centered on the original.