PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Ibis

Amy Marques
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi. This is my first post. Though I have been doing post-processing for some time, I have just recently picked up a camera and started learning how to use it. I look forward to all critiques.

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM on Canon 40D, Canon Speedlite with Better Beamer
1/1250 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, taken hand held

Ed Cordes
07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Nice pose. The high key effect is OK, but the wings look too dark for my taste. The eye looks a bit soft as well. Can the shadow/highlight tool lighten the wings and a bit more USM provide more detail?

Amy Marques
07-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Ed. Is this better?

Kobus Tollig
07-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Amy please dont feel im coming at you now for your post on mine,.....im not

I would like this one a bit higher in the frame and you have a bit of noise under the wings cause you lighten it. also see S/H halo around the bird...very light though.
Nice effort here....keep them coming

Axel Hildebrandt
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome to BPN, Amy! Very nice first post. I like the pose and eye contact. Did you dial in positive EC? This would have helped with underwing details. I agree that you could try to get more details in the shadows using S/H and/or curves. Keep them coming!

Amy Marques
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Not at all! I need to practice what I preach- and just be more observant with halos that develope on white backgrounds. I didn't know what I could get away with noise-wise when making an additional S/H adjustment in the second image. Glad you chimed in.

Amy Marques
07-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome to BPN, Amy! Very nice first post. I like the pose and eye contact. Did you dial in positive EC? This would have helped with underwing details. I agree that you could try to get more details in the shadows using S/H and/or curves. Keep them coming!

Hi Axel. Is my second sample any better with showing additional detail under the wings? I am having trouble pulling more detail without noise showing up. Also, what is EC? Thanks.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Axel. Is my second sample any better with showing additional detail under the wings? I am having trouble pulling more detail without noise showing up. Also, what is EC? Thanks.

EC is exposure compensation, you could have dialed in at least +1. If you try to get more details in post-processing then you will get quite a bit of noise since the wings are underexposed.

Amy Marques
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
EC is exposure compensation, you could have dialed in at least +1. If you try to get more details in post-processing then you will get quite a bit of noise since the wings are underexposed.

Thanks, and yes-I remember it was over +1 EC.

David Roach
07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
One of my favorite birds! Nice pose, eye contact, catch light and your repost has good sharpness. EXP difficulty aside, I love those trailing upward pointed toenails. Keep them coming!

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Welcome and nice flight shot for the first post. Technicals have been covered already.

Ramon M. Casares
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Amy, welcome.
IMO, in this case, with such light, fill flash with a better beamer might have helped. Nice pose though.
Congratulations!

Aidan Briggs
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I agree with Ramon. If you don't have a better beamer, you could expose to the right, as the underwings are just too dark to contain much detail.

Keep them coming.

Stu Bowie
07-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Welcome to BPN Amy. Great subject for your first post. When Im looking up towards the sky, I always dial in anything for EC from +third, to +1. Over time you get to know which is best for your camera. The direction of light also plays a big part. Keep them coming.

Amy Marques
07-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. Highly appreciated!