PDA

View Full Version : Melba Finch

Gerrie van Vuuren
07-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Busy little one that do not pose like this often. Taken outside my favourite hide.

MK III, 300mm f/2.8 + 2x Convertor, 1/2000, f/7.1, ISO 500.

Rich Steel
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi Gerrie

That is a very colourful looking bird which is set off well against the muted background. Exposure, sharpness and saturation levels look very good on the bird, although a little tight in the frame for my taste. . I don't think the perch is ideal for a couple of reasons. Firstly I find the dark shadow extending up along the perch from the tip of the birds wings draws the eye.. Also there is a piece of the perch that is covering right up along the the leg of the bird. I think the background would also be improved if it was evened out a little to remove the lighter area in the top right corner, although that is a very minor issue.

Cheers

Rich

Chris van Rooyen
07-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Beautiful posture and perfect head angle. The perch might be slightly heavy but I do like the contrast between the colourful plumage and the rough bark of the perch. Smooth background is very effective

Gal Shon
07-10-2009, 03:54 AM
With such a beautiful bird, its hard to go wrong, great picture.
The little broken twig that blocks the right leg is somewhat disturbing.
Any manipulation done on the upper part of the perch?

Dave Barnes
07-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Nice detail and colour captured.
Does look like something has been done to the upper part of the perch and the top of the birds head but I dont think this is the case?
What I do not like is the branch in front of the birds leg.

Mike Veltri
07-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Great looking bird well exposed, flash may have helped with the shadow on the perch.

Daniel Cadieux
07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Good looking bird, and you did best you could with the harsh light. Slightly darkening the midtones on the bird and perch (not the BG) may reduce the harsh look. I agree with the branch covering the leg, and the dark shadow in the perch's groove. Excellent pose by your subject.

Stu Bowie
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Amazing colours, and like the pose and detail on the finch Gerrie. He stands out so well from the BG. Branch covered, and well captured.

Mark Dumbleton
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Love this bird. Good exposure and BG. Agree the perch is a tad heavy, but the contrast between the colours of the bird and perch BG works well!

Gerrie van Vuuren
07-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Thank you for viewing & commenting everyone. It is much appreciated.

Simon Bennett
07-12-2009, 04:07 AM
I like the alert pose and crisp presentation. Beautiful little bird too.