PDA

View Full Version : Devereux Lagoon and Sands Beach

Aidan Briggs
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I'll be going there for 3 days, starting on July 22, for snowy plovers, and other shorebirds. Hopefully there will be fledgling least terns around as well. So, does anyone know if it is better in the morning, or the evening, or where the plovers hang out, near the surf, or back past the high tide line? Also can you get close enough for decent shots at devereux lagoon, or is it fenced off/ too far away? Will the snowy plovers still have chicks? And finally, how approachable are the birds? I am considering renting a 500 f/4 for this trip.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Hansen
07-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Aidan,
I am unfamiliar with the area so I did a search. Apparently there are docents for the area. Here is the number listed for the program. They may be able to give you some valuable info.

Call Jennifer Stroh, docent program coordinator, at (805) 880-1195

God bless,

chris

Aidan Briggs
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll check that out.

Aidan Briggs
07-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Well I just got back the other day, and it was a pretty nice trip. The only way to get to the beach is to hike in about a mile, unless you are will to risk a parking ticket, and then it is about a 1/4 mile. The snowy plovers are everywhere, and even with only a 400mm lens, you can get some good stuff, if you let the plovers get used to you. There were a few chicks there, but they were much more skittish. Other birds encountered included: Whimbrel, Sanderling, Semipalmated Plover, Black-Necked Stilt, and all the egrets, herons, gulls, and Pelicans. The Santa Barbara Natural History Museum is also worth a visit, they have a cool exhibit on birds.

W T Lloyd
07-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Geez, Aidan - I'm sorry I didn't see this post before you went. I was at Coal Oil Point/Devereux last week, and have made trips in the past (I live in Ventura, about 45 miles south...).

Just want to mention that I saw, last week, my first Red Knot. Check your pics again, you may have one more bird to add to the list above....

Aidan Briggs
08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey W.T Lloyd,

Thanks for the response, I'm pretty sure I didn't get a Red Knot. Do they hang out on the beach where you can get them, or near the lagoon/behind the rope where they are inaccessible?

I was considering going back again sometime in 2009/10. Is the beach crowded with UCSB students during the school year?

Thanks