PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Tail Gecko

Jay Gould
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Last week I participated in a reptile workshop for close-ups and macro. I decided to only use the 300 with tubes in order to start learning the ins and outs of using tubes. Sure makes a difference in how close you can get and fill the viewfinder! This little darling is my first attempt with the 300 as well as my first :eek: total CS4 processing (sharpening, levels, and curves) carefully (soft of ;)) following some guidelines Mike Moats provided as part of his online Close-Up course. I also removes several green grass shoots from the foreground and across the gecko's body. I have to send this image and a few others that I will share to Mike for this portion of the course - Shooting Full DOF.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 5 Jul 09; 11:35am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 300 f/2.8
Focal length: 300
Extender: none
Tube: 2 x 25mm
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 1600
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/6 sec
Aperture: f/32
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dan Brown
07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Jay, very nice capture of the little guy licking his eye!:). I like the sharpness and exp. I do wish that the lizard was on the left of the frame though.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Agree about placement of subject. Nice image. I bet my butt this is Trekabout?

Jay Gould
07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Agree about placement of subject. Nice image. I bet my butt this is Trekabout?

Akos, you get to keep you butt :eek: - this time!

Have you done anything with Trekabout?

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Have you done anything with Trekabout?

No and I have absolutely no intention to ever either. :) I am glad you had fun though mate. You can e-mail me off line if you are interested.

Steve Canuel
07-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Really nice low angle. Nice smile from your subject and I like the detail in the eye. Would also like to see him a little more to the left (as viewed) to avoid the dark spot. Would also have been interesting to see him with the dark spot directly behind him as if coming out of a cave. Not sure on the color of these since I've never seen one but there appears to be some leftover cloning mark running through the bottom jaw and a little green color bleed near the left eye.

Morkel Erasmus
07-11-2009, 06:02 PM
composition covered but I like the action/pose captured as well as the colours - very rich. sweet little guy!