PDA

View Full Version : Acratech Long Lens Head

Richard Stern
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
This tripod head looks like a reasonable substitute for a true gimbal head. Does anyone use this tripod head? If so, what are your experiences? Is it necessary to get the Acratech lens plate to go with it, to attach the foot on the lens collar to the head?

Thanks,

Richard

Jason Franke
07-10-2009, 09:55 PM
As far as I know, though I don't have first hand experience with it, Acratech's clamps/plates are Arca-Swiss compatible. So you should be able to use any Wimberley, Really Right Stuff, Kirk, etc. plate/lens foot on their heads.

Robert Amoruso
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10

Here is a link to see it.

colincarter
07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
it doesn't look like a true replacement for a gimbal head.

it looks more like Manfrotto's and RRS's heads for monopods, the new RRS HD head is fantastic by the way but it is made for monopods not tripods.

there is no point in trying to save a few dollars when buying a head, gimbals are expensive but they work very well and allow big lenses to balance perfectly so virtually becoming weightless.

Nancy A Elwood
07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I would not use it with anything bigger than a 300 2.8. Colin is right, if you have a 500, 600 etc. get a gimbal, Wimberley as in, and be done with it. The comfort you would have is well worth it!

Cheers