PDA

View Full Version : Moon slug

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
This is Euselenops luniceps - the Moon Slug. Seen at night crawling over the sandy substrate in bays and estuaries. I photographed this near the entrance of Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) at night, many, many years ago with a Nikonos V, 35mm lens and macro add-on lens that was custom made for me. Fujichrome Sensia II was used and a single overhead flash. Cropped to composition.

These slugs also swim as you see, when moving from one area to another or to escape an annoying photographer perhaps.

Ed Vatza
07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Been checking out your underwater images. They are excellent. This one is no exception. I think the slug looks great against that black background. Very nicely done!

Ramesh Adkoli
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Akos,

The crop has worked really well to render a nice composition. Flash has added to the the charm of the image. BTW, do they emit light? The glow on those antlers(?) gives that feel.

regards,
ramesh

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Thank you Ed and Ramesh. Appreciate the kind comments.

Ramesh, they do not emit light. I think maybe the flash cooked that part. :( And now that I look, a bit more space on top would work better.

Daniel Cadieux
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, a bit more space above would be nice. You've been presenting us with some really cool underwater species from your corner of the world!! It must be fun for you to revisit these images as well :-)

Steve Maxson
07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Another cool critter, Akos. I like the flow of the curving lines in this image as the slug is swimming. Agree that a little room at the top would help. Well done.

Julie Kenward
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Even though this is certainly interesting it's not one of my favorite images of yours. I feel lost in the composition because of the way it is positioned in the frame. I also don't think the quality of the image is near your usual standards (more than likely because of the dark factor/flash).

Alfred Forns
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Sweet !!! I'm impressed with your UW macro work !!!

Jules I think it helps if you have looked (tried) some of these. Have seen so many of these and have thrown so many away that my eyes see images differently. If I was just thinking of land macro images would have to fully agree !!

I found the macro much more satisfying ... actually no different in land :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Even though this is certainly interesting it's not one of my favorite images of yours. I feel lost in the composition because of the way it is positioned in the frame. I also don't think the quality of the image is near your usual standards (more than likely because of the dark factor/flash).

That's cool. :) It was taken at night.